Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I just picked up an Indy 500 the has the Fliptronic II flippers. The right flipper is noticeably weaker than the left.

I checked the EOS switch and it seems to engage about the same time the other flippers do. The coil doesn't look burned or anything.

Where should I start in troubleshooting this? Should I get a rebuild kit with new sleeves and plunger, etc?

#2 10 years ago

Does it have opto switches under the flipper buttons on the cabinet?

Clean the inside of the U-shaped optos thoroughly, and then throw the game into switch edge test to make sure the flipper switches show up steadily and clearly.

If the problem persists after cleaning the switch optos, swap the little boards left-right and see if the problem moves to the other side.

RM

#3 10 years ago

There's any easy way to tell if it's the button optos. Grab the flipper, then press and hold the flipper button. If it's working correctly, you'll feel a single tug on the flipper, then light steady pulling due to the hold coil. If the opto is bad, you'll feel a constant tug or buzzing and hear a hum. The GI will dim, too. The optos can often be cleaned, but if one's bad, you can buy the whole board for about $20 and change it without soldering.

The EOS actually does very little in a fliptronic game, because the system is designed to work without it if necessary. Experienced players might notice a subtle change in aim timing, but the play is otherwise normal.

Excessive slop in the flipper link is the other major cause of weak flippers, especially in the newer Stern games which don't have the EOS, or which have it but don't use it in the flipper coil timing.

There are 5 different strength coils; make sure both of yours are correct.

Loss of power is never caused by dragging of the mechanism parts. If anything is dragging, the flipper will tend to stay in the raised position, which will be detected long before any real power loss occurs.

Allan

#4 10 years ago

Full flipper rebuild kits are generally a must-do upon any new acquisition.

RM

#5 10 years ago

When you get an intermittent flipper opto switch, sometimes it's the interruptor, and not the opto itself.

RM

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Full flipper rebuild kits are generally a must-do upon any new acquisition.
RM

I agree completely.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

When you get an intermittent flipper opto switch, sometimes it's the interruptor, and not the opto itself.
RM

I'm aware of the white ones allowing light through. I got some brand new ones like that. The solution was to color them black with a paint pen or sharpie. Was there another failure you had in mind?

Allan

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

I'm aware of the white ones allowing light through. I got some brand new ones like that. The solution was to color them black with a paint pen or sharpie. Was there another failure you had in mind?
Allan

That issue, and I have seen where the interruptor was only barely moved out of the way when the button was depressed all the way, I mean right at the edge where the light was only partially unblocked and it would "chatter" the opto switch open/closed.

RM

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the pointers guys.

I cleaned the opto switch on the right side, no change.

I swapped the opto boards from left to right, no change.

Confirmed all the coils are correct (all 3 flippers have the same, numbered coil).

I can't do the switch edge test as my display isn't working at the moment. There are 4 beeps at startup that may be an error message that I can't see due to the non-functional display. Can the machine detect problems with the flipper circuit?

I noticed that the right flipper (weaker one) stays active a a quarter of a second (or so) past when I let go of the button. To make it even weirder, the upper flipper on the right doesn't delay, only the lower, weaker flipper does.

Does Fliptronic II use separate transistors for the hold coil and power coil? Could the power coil transistor be bad? How can I test that?

Thanks for the help with this, guys. This is my first Fliptronic machine.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Can the machine detect problems with the flipper circuit?

Flipper button optos and EOS errors only.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Does Fliptronic II use separate transistors for the hold coil and power coil? Could the power coil transistor be bad? How can I test that?

Yes and forget it.

I would do the basics, coil stop and bracket that hold the coil in a straight line and not leaning in or out ? A tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper so the pawl doesn't bind under the playfield ? Plunger assembly move freely ? The plunger - no sharp edge on the end that hits the coil stop ? Coil sleeve clean and no wear or cracked or broken ?

I'm sure one of the above, or more is the issue.

LTG : )

#11 10 years ago

You 'da man! I found the coil stop was fairly mushroomed, the plunger looked OK, the coil sleeve looks pretty beat. I filed the coil stop flat, cleaned the sleeve and plunger, re-assembled and it is just as strong as the other flipper!

I will putting a rebuild kit on order and will rebuild them all. Thanks for the help!

I really didn't think these flippers needed a rebuild. I'm used to getting routed, early 80s machines that the hardware and EOS switch clearly looks like it needs to be replaced. Lesson learned!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 37.50
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 17.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fliptronic-ii-flipper-strength-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.