11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by zaino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hello,
    I'm new to this forums, so please be patient if I'm asking a question already answered (I searched, but didn't find).
    I'm creating a pinball simulation for fun, and I want the physics to be super accurate. I'm trying to build a virtual Big Shot (love that table...)

I know a pinball weights 80 grams, but how much does a flipper weigh?

Thanks for the help folks!

#2 11 years ago

The ones with the metal reinforcement inside of them are 1.5 oz

#3 11 years ago

Awesome!
    I'm also trying to figure out the torque of the flippers, the one when it's engaged, and the one when the EOSS triggers.
    That's pretty hard info to figure out. I can maybe calculate the magnetic field given the current and the coil resistance, but then I don't know the physics properties of the spring...

#4 11 years ago

Actually knowing how much it takes to travel up and down would be pretty good too.

#5 11 years ago

I think you can ignore the effect of the spring. It's just there to return the flipper to the starting position after you release the button.

#6 11 years ago

The coil strength varies as well.

#7 11 years ago

[apologies to OP for going a bit off-track here]

I've always wanted to create some sort of easily home-made tester that can test the flipping strength of a flipper. If it could be constructed with consistency then people could compare their measured strengths. But there are a lot of variables at play.

Any ideas though ??

#8 11 years ago

How about using some sort of ramp which has a built in inclinometer? Make the ramp so it has a set screw where you can control the angle. You would have to pick a consistent angle from level to do the testing. Place the ramp directly on the playfield and adjust the angle to be consistent from machine to machine. The total ramp angle would be the playfield angle plus the ramp angle but you can see this in the inclinometer. Draw lines on the ramp every cm and and flip the ball up the ramp while shooting a video.

The inconsistency from machine to machine is going to be related to friction as the ball first enters the ramp. I am not sure how long the ramp has to be for the ball to not go off the end but you can experiment. The longer the ramp is and the lower the angle, the better the results would be in terms of consistency.

#9 11 years ago

Also look at how Vector figures out the vectorscan shot. I am not sure how it works.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

I think you can ignore the effect of the spring. It's just there to return the flipper to the starting position after you release the button.

The spring is just a cosmetic thing to make them bounce when they go back, I agree.
    I'm interested to know how much torque is applied to the flippers when they go up, and when the EOS triggers, because I want to formalize the physics of a live catch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-weight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.