(Topic ID: 9518)

Flippers tournament...Jan 8th...Grandy N.C.

By hooch333

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Flippers in Grandy N.C. will be having their first pinball tournament on Jan. 8th at 2:00 pm. They have 49 pins and lots of other arcade games, and there is nothing like it withinin 300 miles, so if you can make it to show them support that would be awesome.

#2 12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! Hope I can make it, even though I've decided I suck at pinball. I guess I'm more of an enthusiast than a player at this stage of the game. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can make it.

#3 12 years ago

Wish I could make it, but that date isn't going to work for me. His I500, JM, Defender and Black Hole came from my game room.

#4 12 years ago

Too bad, Fishin, was hoping to meet you. I played the I500 & JM when I was there. Man, that I500 was bright and colorful, were those LEDs? Added by you? I'm too new at this to be sure if they were, but betting so.

I should be there Sunday, probably around noon, get the fingers warmed up a little.
    Phil from Suffolk coming? Haven't met any of the locals yet.....'cept Jamie.

Randy

#5 12 years ago

Yeah, I shopped it and added the CoinTaker super brights. Kinda hated to see that one go, but I needed cash for TZ.

#6 12 years ago

Won't make it this Sunday. That's the day I retrieve my pins at the Shooting Star Gallery and bring them back home. It'll be cool to see how much play they got while there for the holidays.

#7 12 years ago

I was there last week and was looking for the I500 game, because it was so awesome the first time i was there, but it is gone now!! I doubt it is broke, so maybe he sold it......Fish, you did a sweet job on that pin it was one of the brightest I've ever seen.

Phil, I really hope all the play over the holidays on your pins was gentle...too bad you cant make it I was hoping you could make it. Any progress on paragon?

#8 12 years ago

Thanks, that I500 was in really good shape. Other than some wear around the turbo VUK, which was easily covered with a cliffy, the playfield was perfect. You guys need to stop talking about it, though, because you're making me miss it

#9 12 years ago

Found a couple quotes while searching around that caught my eye....

GoneFishin once said "I have 17 years in the Navy. Currently a Senior Chief. "

Half_Life once said "Was an Electronics Technician in the Navy"

Strange (but not especially considering the area), I also gave 7 years to the
    Navy as an aviation electronic tech (AT) from '80 - '87. So, of the six guys
    on the map in this area (Hampton Roads), 50% are former/current Navy.
    Don't know about Hooch, but he may be too! Small world stuff......

Randy

#10 12 years ago

I am not from the Navy, but every electrician at the company I work for is a former Navy Nuke. If any of you former Navy electricians is looking for a really great job (over 100k yr., unreal benefits, 4 on/4 off schedule, kids college paid,etc.,etc.) Tons of free time to work on and play pinball!!! The company I work for is looking to hire immediately, and they prefer ex-navy electricians, and techs. I can personally give resumes to our maintenance manager.

#11 12 years ago

hooch, do you hire electrical engineers and circuit board designers?

#12 12 years ago

Gone Fishin,
    Yes, we hire electrical engineers, but for the most part, the regular guys on shift are encouraged to make changes and create anything that will help production. Basically, if I told them I could use a rocket ship to help production they would let me. They also give us a lot of freedom to make decisions, and to even fail, as long as we are trying.
    As far as circuit board design....again you could solder boards till doomsday. Realistically though, if a board has a problem we generally do not troubleshoot to the component level. If it is stopping production, hot swapping is way cheaper, and much faster. Once we are up and running you can bench test and troubleshoot the problem, and then re-install it during downtime.
    If you are interested, Google Nucor Steel. They have not had a layoff in over forty years, even when companies in the same industry were doing so. They are a great company to work for, and they treat their employees like gold.
    Hope this helps

Lets get some locals together and play some pinball!!!,

David

#13 12 years ago

Had a great time yesterday at the Tournament. Met a bunch of local pinball freaks like me. I actually walked away with more money then I went there with, because I placed third. Hung out with Maniac from the boards most of the day, and we had a blast. The tournament was played on 5 machines....BDK,W20,TRON,RS, and MM. My best score was on MM, but no one was burning up any pins, so all ROC's high scores are safe for another day. The owner said he plans on doing more in the future.

#14 12 years ago

Sweet! I hope I can make the next one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-tournamentjan-8thgrandy-nc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.