(Topic ID: 270696)

Flippers than move closer together

By KathyD19

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-09-01 16.23.33 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-01 16.23.44 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I hope someone can verify a distant memory of mine. I remember playing an older pinball machine back in the late 60's/early 70's at the Lake of The Ozarks that was the only kind I have ever seen that had a special feature: if you did something in particular, it would let the flippers move inward closer to each other for a limited time and block the ball from going down the "throat" of the machine and being lost. Several siblings played this game and remember that feature as well but none of us recall what the game was or the exact year. I've never seen one like that since and no one that I know who collects or repairs them has been able to recall this either. Anyone??

#2 3 years ago

Sounds like zipper flippers to me. Here is a list from ipdb.org

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?specialty=25&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#3 3 years ago

YES!! Thank you!! I think it was the 1966 "Bazaar" game!! I'm not crazy after all (well.....)

#4 3 years ago

Back in my impressionable youth, a local arcade had a Fireball machine. Zipper flippers and a spinning disk... that was high technology.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from KickahaOta:

Back in my impressionable youth, a local arcade had a Fireball machine. Zipper flippers and a spinning disk... that was high technology.

Same here. They had a brand new one at the local bowing alley. Seeing it for the first time was like WOW!

#6 3 years ago

Zipper flippers are pretty fun.
    If you get a chance to play 4 Million BC, give it a go.
    It has zipper flipper and a multi ball.

#7 3 years ago

Think it was Rocket that had the first set of Zipper Flippers

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I own a Rocket and it doesn't even have them.

If you mean Rocket III, that is from 1967 and a few games from 1966 already had them including Bazaar, Capersville,

and without a month it's hard to tell, but perhaps the first?

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4422

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from KathyD19:

YES!! Thank you!! I think it was the 1966 "Bazaar" game!! I'm not crazy after all (well.....)

2017-09-01 16.23.33 (resized).jpg2017-09-01 16.23.33 (resized).jpg2017-09-01 16.23.44 (resized).jpg2017-09-01 16.23.44 (resized).jpg
    #11 3 years ago

There also was a machine at The Rebel Arcade called Dixieland by Bally that also had zipper flippers.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

No, it was Bazaar. The flyer for Bazaar brags about it. Check the entry for Bazaar on IPDB for more details.
    .................David Marston

#13 3 years ago

I really like the zipper flippers on my Nip-It. It adds a lot to the gameplay.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-than-move-closer-together and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.