Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0333 (resized).jpg
IMG_0338 (resized).jpg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpg
IMG_0331 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I'm very new to pinball repairs. I've worked at a small arcade for several years and learned a lot from trial and error but have no actual training on any of this.

I took this video showing the problems with the flippers (a short 26 second video posted to YouTube)

It appears to me that they are stuck for different issues. I believe I've narrowed it down to be mechanical, as they don't go back to their normal spot when I turned the power off. But the left one tries to activate still but just can't seem to move. The right one just gets stuck at the top and doesn't seem to do anything else at all until it gets shaken or bumped hard enough to fall back into home position.

I've already replaced the main parts of the right flipper, but it doesn't seem to have been the problem. The image shows the 3 parts I DID already swap out on the right flipper; the plunger, the sleeve, the flipper link. I didn't think the larger metal part was the problem. It worked again for a couple of weeks but now is getting stuck again.

Now that the left has it's own issue, and the right side is repeating its problem, it's clear I've made a mistake somewhere.

Any tips of what to swap next or what else I can do to fix it?

IMG_0331 (resized).jpgIMG_0331 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Let’s see a photo of of how the assemblies look on the bottom of your playfield. You always want to leave a little up down travel in the flipper when you reassemble them. If you don’t, they will bind between the flipper and the bushing causing the flipper to stick. So will about a half dozen other things. The photos would help a lot.

#3 1 year ago

Almost assuredly the coil stops. Stern is notorious for putting the shittyest cheapest mother fucking coil stops in these multi-thousand dollar games

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Almost assuredly the coil stops.

Remove them and check this first.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Almost assuredly the coil stops. Stern is notorious for putting the shittyest cheapest mother fucking coil stops in these multi-thousand dollar games

My GOTG had a sticky flipper. I also found metal chips and shavings inside the cab (below the pf). I new coil stop fixed my flipper issue.

#6 1 year ago

Wow good call on the coil stops being the culprit. MaxIsDead IMG_0338 (resized).jpgIMG_0338 (resized).jpg IMG_0339 (resized).jpgIMG_0339 (resized).jpg The left side was pretty bad and had started mushrooming the plunger as well. It's crazy how loose the ends of them were. I wouldn't have known they were supposed to be essentially riveted flush, because both were so bad and wobbly I might have assumed they were supposed to be wobbly for tolerances or something. I swapped out the coil stop on the right side that had already had the plunger and link replaced, then did the whole procedure to the left side as well and so far everything seems to be working!

Mad_Dog_Coin_Op I'm curious where you mean I need to leave a little bit of up and down travel, is this picture enough to show you what you wanted to see? Where exactly do I want that play? While they are working now, I'd much prefer to position them better so they run as smooth as possible. IMG_0333 (resized).jpgIMG_0333 (resized).jpg I also recorded this video trying to show where they were loose/getting stuck before I fixed them this morning:

Thanks for the help, you guys are all awesome!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from CVFP:

I'm curious where you mean I need to leave a little bit of up and down travel,

On top of the playfield. You should be able to pull the flipper bat up and down ( not back and forth ) a tiny bit to prevent the pawl from sticking under the playfield.

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 34.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.50
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

4,999 (Firm)
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-stuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.