4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

My GOTLE flippers seem to have a much smoother "Bally/Williams" kind of feel to them than my Munsters Pro flippers. On Munsters the flippers feel more clunky and stiff. Did anything change from Spike to Spike 2 with flipper design?

#2 4 years ago

Have they been that way since day one? I've read of a lot of flipper coil stops in newer Stern's being problematic. You may want to try replacing them.

#3 4 years ago

As far as I'm aware they haven't changed hardware since the DE/Sega days. As crunch said I would check the coil stops.

#4 4 years ago

Only thing I know of is that WWE had hold windings, but then they stopped doing that end went back to the older methods.

#5 4 years ago

Have they been that way since day one? I've read of a lot of flipper coil stops in newer Stern's being problematic. You may want to try replacing them.

Yes, they've always had that feel. The flippers on Munsters work just fine, they just feel kind of stiff. The only other modern Stern I own to compare them with is an Aerosmith Pro, and I think the flippers on that game as far as feel are somewhere between my Munsters and my GOTLE. Could just be differences in age of game, or the particular game... not sure. But there is definitely a big difference in feel. I'll look into the coil stop suggestion, though they're not sticky like you might see with coil stop mushrooming.

#6 4 years ago

The Stern coil stop problems I've seen is that they literally fall apart. Take your coil stops off and look at them closely.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Magicman:

Yes, they've always had that feel. The flippers on Munsters work just fine, they just feel kind of stiff. The only other modern Stern I own to compare them with is an Aerosmith Pro, and I think the flippers on that game as far as feel are somewhere between my Munsters and my GOTLE. Could just be differences in age of game, or the particular game... not sure. But there is definitely a big difference in feel. I'll look into the coil stop suggestion, though they're not sticky like you might see with coil stop mushrooming.

Like Ken said, they don't mushroom, they just disintegrate. Dust and metal shavings everywhere, it may be enough to make your flippers feel off.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Only thing I know of is that WWE had hold windings, but then they stopped doing that end went back to the older methods.

some spike 1 games had the coin door switch as well the last few spike 2 games.

#9 4 years ago

If the 2 different games use different coils, they will feel different.
    The diff. Coils are different strengths, munsters has a flip-ramp that might have called for the high juice coil.
    Just a thought,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-stern-spike-vs-spike-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.