(Topic ID: 202317)

Flippers quitting on my FT

By northerndude

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey folks, sniffed around with the search bar and could see anything jump at me for a thread already, so made a new one here.
I have very intermittent problem with my flippers losing power at the same time. As far as I know, while this happens, everything else on pin working fine. I can be playing and the flippers will both just quit, and stay off, or they will quit for seconds to several seconds and revive. I have included a video I caught it in the act.

troubleshooting I have already done - Re-punched wires on the connectors, swapped fuses, made sure everything tight on flipper board. The pin did this a year ago for a while, stopped having problems for months and now its back again.

Any help is most appreciated, Thx!!!

#2 6 years ago

Any corrosion on the board?

#3 6 years ago

Important question: Do the lane lights change when you hit the flipper buttons when the flippers are "dead"?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

Any corrosion on the board?

None on front, i'll check the backside though

Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Important question: Do the lane lights change when you hit the flipper buttons when the flippers are "dead"?

No they don't, only the flippers stop

#5 6 years ago

The flip board is mint. I'm thinking I might be chasing the incorrect thing, as it isn't one of the flippers that dies, it's both, maybe I should be looking back from the AC in and see if I might have a high res. open before the fliptronic board.

#6 6 years ago

Just a follow up and looking for some direction on what I could test next?
If I fire it up, can play a game or two max, then......they quit. Could there be a solenoid that won't charge up or something else on a WPC that anyone knows of this happening before?
Thanks again!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Quoted from CadillacMusic:
No they don't, only the flippers stop

This is an important clue.
What CadillacMusic was getting at is this...do you have a flipper power issue or do you have a flipper cabinet switch issue.
Since the LIE top inlane lights don't rotate when you press the flippers, the game isn't sensing the closure of the flipper cabinet switches. This could be caused by a faulty wire connection between the flipper cabinet opto boards and the FlipTronics II board in the upper left of the backbox. Or, there could be a fault on the FlipTronics board. The latter is unlikely since the problem comes and goes. I'd lean toward a wire harness issue.

Reseat the .100 connectors on the bottom of the FlipTronics board, J905 and J906.
Reseat the connectors on each flipper cabinet board.

If still no joy, wiggle the orange wire that connects to the FlipTronics board at J905 pin 6. That wire provides ground back to both flipper cabinet PCBs. There might have an internal break in the wire. Wiggle it while the condition is present and someone can be pressing the flipper button for you.

You can also place the game into switch test (T.1), and then press the flipper buttons after you've seen the issue manifest. See if the flipper cabinet switches register in switch test.

I'm in and out of here....report back for further analysis.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 6 years ago

Thx Chris for the detailed help.
Just before I read all of this I was actually going through the grounds on the fliptronics board thinking that had to be my intermittent “open” that was coming and going. I re-seated 905,906, ohmed our all of the grounds and such also.
Whilst screwing around with those I gave all of my ribbon cables a push and voila! J201 was unseated a little ways on its right side, I pushed a flipper button and instantly had them go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-quitting-on-my-ft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.