View topic image gallery

Spectrum_FlipperSwitch_Right.jpg
Spectrum_FlipperSwitch_Left.jpg
20220328_185936 (resized).jpg
20220328_185931 (resized).jpg
20220328_183305 (resized).jpg
20220328_183625 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have most everything working on my Spectrum, everything but the ball kick out from the lower outhole. I've performed a switch test and both flippers are not recognized by the test. I did replace both dual contact switches and believe they are wired properly. I have tested the switches at the MPU and have continuity when flippers are depressed. Not sure what to make of this. I can start a game but if I depress the right flipper to kick the ball into play, it resets the game. If I let the game default and it kicks the ball automatically the game can be played. Sounds come into play then, see next paragraph...

I do have one other issue and possibly they are related. My sounds when a switch is made are not normal. By this they make longer sounds like the switch is made for too long and the sound bite is made to play longer than normal. I hope that makes sense to someone.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Wyldgoat65:

I did replace both dual contact switches and believe they are wired properly.

Let's see clear pictures of both flipper switch wirings at each end (MPU board and switches themselves).

#3 2 years ago

Quench, I will take some photos tonight and post

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Let's see clear pictures of both flipper switch wirings at each end (MPU board and switches themselves).

I will take photos tonight and post

#5 2 years ago

flippers are not in the switch test. the other problems sounds like a loose connection at the power supply. and a switch that is closed??

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from oldmanpinball:

flippers are not in the switch test. the other problems sounds like a loose connection at the power supply. and a switch that is closed??

It does indicate in the manual that those flippers are numbered #1 and #2 for the switch test. According to the switch test I have no switches closed. What sort of problem are you referring to on the power supply?

#7 2 years ago

some times when a game resets its from a bad connection. you can start a game and wiggle the plugs and see if it dose the same thing
that can help you pinpoint it. also tap on the play field to see if the sound starts to make funny sounds from a switch that mite be making
contact

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Wyldgoat65:

I will take photos tonight and post

Here are the pics of my switches and the mpu connections. I did go over all wiring and made sure all wires were in the correct position on each connector, also I repinned just about the entire backbox.

20220328_183305 (resized).jpg20220328_183305 (resized).jpg20220328_183625 (resized).jpg20220328_183625 (resized).jpg20220328_185931 (resized).jpg20220328_185931 (resized).jpg20220328_185936 (resized).jpg20220328_185936 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

In both of the flipper switch photos, you've got the strobe signal and return signal wires crossed over.
The red-yellow wire should be on the lug where the non-banded side of the diode is, and the other wire on the other lug.

Spectrum_FlipperSwitch_Left.jpgSpectrum_FlipperSwitch_Left.jpg
Spectrum_FlipperSwitch_Right.jpgSpectrum_FlipperSwitch_Right.jpg

#10 2 years ago

I will flip those wires tonight and let you know how it works out.

#11 2 years ago

Quench

I flipped the wires discussed and flippers are recognized and performing as they should. Game play needs some minor tweaks but it is playing. Thank you for your help with this issue, so very much appreciated!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95
$ 45.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-not-recognized-in-switch-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.