Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-34.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Just left Flippers in Grandy, NC.

I've heard about this place for a while now and have been meaning to make it down here and finally a family vacation got me the opportunity to head over.

While we were there they were bringing in their new MetMOp which I got to put the first game on which was very cool of the owner David to let me do.

Mettalica is a blast of a pin. Ramps are quick and the returns from the snake and inline drops will keep you in your toes. Very nice art package as well. Illuminated apron is very eye catching. I didn't quite understand the electric chair shit, just not sure what I was suppose to be doing.

I also finally got a chance to play BBB. Game is fantastic. I had one decent game and if not for the pricetag I'd love to own one. Maybe if owning one it might get old but it was a fun game.

If anywhere near the Outer Banks you have to check this place out.
    http://outerbanksamusements.com/Grandy-NC-Arcade.htm

Thanks again to David for being a great host and talking some pinball and sharing his collection.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Nice! Cool guy to let you play the first game out of the box!

#3 10 years ago

He had a standard Metalica in there a few weeks ago when I was there (in the same spot). Most of the games there are in great condition. I played Cactus Canyon for the first time there. I spend most of my time playing the WOZ though. It kept sucking me back in.

#4 10 years ago

The MetPro was there when we first got there.

My sister couldn't stop playing WOZ.

#5 10 years ago

Best pinball collection around!! Met the owner David who was very nice. Has most of the top 50 machines in good condition or better. Awesome good times.

#6 10 years ago

That place is the bomb. I found 6 free games on WOZ - played them all. Kids had a blast winning tickets. Finally played BBB and a ton of others. Great collection.

#7 10 years ago

Heading out there for a tournament soon. Have heard such great things about the place that I'm finally going to make the drive down there to check it out

#8 10 years ago

I'm at nags head for the week, heading there Friday- cant wait!!!

Looking forward to seeing/playing a few games for the first time:

BBB
    MET
    WOZ

Though, I just saw someone post the WoZ was not 100% functioning

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I'm at nags head for the week, heading there Friday- cant wait!!!
    Looking forward to seeing/playing a few games for the first time:
    BBBMETWOZ
    Though, I just saw someone post the WoZ was not 100% functioning

I'm heading to Nags Head next Saturday. Would have been cool to meet a fellow pinsider at Flippers.

#10 10 years ago

David is a great guy. I hear he runs quite the ship up there, I've been wanting to make the 8 hour drive to see the place eventually.

#11 10 years ago

I was back again today. WOZ lights were fixed.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

I was back again today. WOZ lights were fixed.

Sweet.... I'm tempted to sneak out there tomorrow too. I have a feeling I going to go Friday, decides its awesome, but that's our last full day at the outer banks and wouldn't be able to return....

So... Go tomorrow.... AND Friday.

How crowded is the place? Waits for games? $1/play?

#13 10 years ago

ha! crowded? I was there twice last August and for most of the 8 hrs ish we were alone. it is tokens, can't recall the cost per game but not expensive. best part is the condition of the games!

#14 10 years ago

Spent about 3 hours there today, maybe 2 others playing in the span of those 3 hours..

#15 10 years ago

Yeah I've never seen more than 3-4 other people there at the same time. 50¢ for the majority of everything, WOZ is 75¢ and a few older games in the back are 25¢.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from CMCVT1979:

Spent about 3 hours there today, maybe 2 others playing in the span of those 3 hours..

Ugh.... Why did I wait so long to go to this place?!

Hell, forgot "is it worth a 30min drive from our beach house", this joint sounds like its worth. 3.5 hour drive my home...

3 months later
    #17 10 years ago

Just spent an entire day at Flippers. Played lots of MM, TOTAN, Shadow and BSD. Got a couple games in on MET and the new Star Trek. MET gets my vote. I'm gonna miss that place. Probably won't get there again until late next year.

#18 10 years ago

Awesome bathroom signs too

image-34.jpgimage-34.jpg

#19 10 years ago

flippers is great! go there every holiday season when I visit my sis in VA beach. Only an hour away. Great machines and never crowded.

#20 10 years ago

Today I went on a road trip to Grandy NC to Flippers Variety Store and Arcade. It's about 75 miles from Hampton VA, about an hour and a half drive one way. I have been wanting to make the trip for a wile as they have many great pinball game title's including many new Stern and even a JJP The Wizard of Oz but when I heard they got the new Stern Star Trek Pro I knew it was time for a road trip. The main reason for the visit was to see and play the new Star Trek and I have been itching to see the WOZ for some time. I played Star Trek first and first impression, I love it. It's everything everyone that has played it has already said, it's bright, fast and fun. I cant wait to get my LE. The WOZ is also a fun pin but I can see it will take some time to learn what's going on and what shots you need to make. I have to say I had more fun on Star Trek then any other pin their. I did play MET, AC/DC and the rest at least one or 2 games of each of the new Sterns in the line up. Their was a problem with the LOTR LE, every time I hit the ball to the upper left of the playfield the ball would get lost which made the game pretty much unplayable.
    The big surprise to me which I am sure is no surprise to most of you was the Medieval Madness, yes they have a MM with the ColorDMD. When they announced the MMR I did not know what all the fuss was about as I had never seen or played one but after today I am a fan. Not an 8K I must have fan but anytime I am at Flippers I will drop some coin in it.
    Their Creature from the Black Lagoon wile in great condition could use a little love. The creature hologram was not lighting or moving . I could barely tell it was their, just enough light to see it but that was it but the colorDMD looked great. I took some video which is not the greatest, I need a new camera, but you can get an idea what's their.
    If you love playing pinball and you are ever in Grandy NC then you must drop by.

#21 10 years ago

Flippers is a great place. I am going back there soon to try out the ST pro. I just hope they can get enough business to stay open. It never seems crowded.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-in-grandync and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.