Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I haven't posted about this, but it has been going on for a couple days now. I start playing a game of X-Men, and suddenly, the flippers go dead. It doesn't show bonus info and the ball is STILL on the playfield, but no flippers. Once the ball drains, it shows the bonus and total and then goes on to the next ball. The next ball, the flippers are back to normal. It also doesn't seem to happen after a certain amount of time. Sometimes, right away, sometimes not at all.

Here is some initial findings:
1. It doesn't seem to be connected to any specific switch on the playfield.
2. I attempted to separate the Trough #1 switch so it doesn't sit as low in the ball trough (may need a bigger gap on this).

Any ideas where I can start?

#2 10 years ago

When the flippers go dead, do the pop bumpers and slingshots also go dead?

#3 10 years ago

I think they do. I would have to do a glass off test to make sure, but I think they do. What would that mean?

#4 10 years ago

It sounds like there may be a problem with the opto boards in your ball trough. Re-seat the connections to both boards and see if that corrects the problem. You may need to re-flow the solder points on the opto boards.

#5 10 years ago

Check that trough switch again. A buddy with a Tron had his machine do the same thing and all we did was readjust the trough switch and no more problems.

It was frustrating as hell to try to play a game before we fixed it...

#6 10 years ago

Jodester: Wouldn't it run the end of ball sequence if that switch tripped? The end of ball sequence isn't running until after the real ball drains.

PinballCharlie: No optos, rollover switches.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Jodester: Wouldn't it run the end of ball sequence if that switch tripped? The end of ball sequence isn't running until after the real ball drains.

Actually, there is one opto in your trough that detects ball jams just before it launches into the shooter lane. If that trips by error during play, the system gets confused and kills the flippers exactly as you describe above. This happened to my Tron and just re-seating the connectors fixed it

#8 10 years ago

If all the coils went out it could indicate a lack of 50v, which could be connected to the coin door switch. Too early to tell.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

So power just ends and it doesn't give you your bonus or anything? Wish you had a video of the problem so we could see what is was doing...

Other issue could be the coin door as mentioned above...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

So power just ends and it doesn't give you your bonus or anything? Wish you had a video of the problem so we could see what is was doing...
Other issue could be the coin door as mentioned above...

Haven't had a chance to try any of this out yet as my wife just gave birth last night. Will do on weekend. Keeps any possibilities coming as I will try them all.

Thanks!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Haven't had a chance to try any of this out yet as my wife just gave birth last night. Will do on weekend. Keeps any possibilities coming as I will try them all.
Thanks!

Congrats!

#12 10 years ago

Failing the optos being a problem, it might be a flaky microswitch (with roller wheel) in the other trough positions.

1 week later
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Actually, there is one opto in your trough that detects ball jams just before it launches into the shooter lane. If that trips by error during play, the system gets confused and kills the flippers exactly as you describe above. This happened to my Tron and just re-seating the connectors fixed it

I think this ended up being it. When it last occurred, I opened the coin door and noticed the opto was very dim. Secured the connector and it seemed to brighten up. This was during a game where the ball counts were all over the place.

Thanks!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I think this ended up being it. When it last occurred, I opened the coin door and noticed the opto was very dim. Secured the connector and it seemed to brighten up. This was during a game where the ball counts were all over the place.
Thanks!

Don't you love it when it is a simple fix? Congrats on the new baby, BTW!

-PC

#15 10 years ago

Don't you love it when it is a simple fix? Congrats on the new baby, BTW!
-PC

Yeah, unless you tackled the difficult options first. That was a common mistake when I first started repairing my pins. Always look for the simple solutions first!

#16 10 years ago

The baby takes up most of my day, but I still find time to play pinball. Hot to the second stage of the danger room today. Nice lighting FX during that mode.

1 week later
#17 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The baby takes up most of my day, but I still find time to play pinball. Hot to the second stage of the danger room today. Nice lighting FX during that mode.

What?! I STILL haven't made it to Danger Room I have been close many times. Last week I collected all X-Men except Wolverine. I sure could use that extra ball that is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get on the Nightcrawler ramps (PRO version).

#18 10 years ago

What?! I STILL haven't made it to Danger Room I have been close many times. Last week I collected all X-Men except Wolverine. I sure could use that extra ball that is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get on the Nightcrawler ramps (PRO version).

I have extra ball at 20 million turned on and stackable heroes. Just don't start Magneto multiball until all heroes have been started. You must finish the multiball too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-go-dead-on-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.