(Topic ID: 244563)

Flippers alternate staying up?

By EastlakeMGM

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just replaced the flipper coils and fuses after they melted on NBA Fastbreak. I'm having two issues now - when it starts up, it looks for balls (they're in the trough, and the trough switches read find in the diagnostics). When it looks for balls, one of the flippers are left up. You can alternate which flipper stays upright - hit the left button, the left flipper goes up and stays up. Hit the right button, the left flipper goes down and the right flipper stays up. When it's done looking for balls, both flippers return to down positions. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from EastlakeMGM:

I just replaced the flipper coils and fuses after they melted on NBA Fastbreak

Try disconnecting the flipper opto pcbs and see if the ball search and flipper up still happens. When the flippers go up is just the hold coil (easy to move the flipper) or are they hard to move? If they are easy to move, EOS is probably OK. Then there is the question of why did your coils melt in the first place? Was it left unattended and you came back to that or did they melt while you were playing? Are the EOS switches working correctly? Are any of the other opto switched mechs acting strangely? (12V to the opto pcbs)

1 week later
#3 4 years ago

I couldn't find the flipper opto PCB, but I unplugged and reset the trough opto PCB connections and everything started working afterwards.

The game is at my bar, so I don't know what happened to it, just came it one day and it wasn't working. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from EastlakeMGM:

I couldn't find the flipper opto PCB,

Flipper button opto boards. Inside the cabinet, look at your flipper buttons. One on each side that the flipper button activates.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

OK Glad it's working that is a pretty common connection problem, it will likely happen again. Just for your info the flipper opto boards are attached inside the cabinet at the flipper buttons. Most WPC / WPC95 games use these, plastic or metal flags actuated by the flipper buttons engage opto switches which turn on the flipper coil. Sometimes you may need to clean these optos if the flippers get weak.

LTG Beat me to it .... by 12 seconds

2 weeks later
#6 4 years ago

Oh wow thanks I wouldn't have thought to look there.

The game worked for about a week and the fuses blew again. The coils and bushings didn't melt this time at least.

Where should I start looking for a potential cause for this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 37.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-alternate-staying-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.