Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a quick question on flippers, if you have a game that has a lower flipper and upper flipper on the same side, and if you start to have a problem with the upper flipper, does that mean that the upper flipper needs rebuilding or does the lower flipper somehow control the upper flipper and should the lower flipper be rebuilt??

#2 4 years ago

Typically, you want to rebuild the flipper that you are having issues with. Though you can certainly rebuild them all at the same time as well, as they will all eventually get worn and dirty in spots.

Sometime you don't really need to rebuild it. You simply inspect it, clean the parts, then decide if you should swap out damaged parts (if any).

It is a case by case basis, and depends on what issue/symptoms you actually have.

#3 4 years ago

On my maverick machine sometimes when I hit the right flipper the upper flipper may either extend then drop, may not extend at all or it may vibrate back and forth really fast. So that means the problem is with the upper flipper and has nothing to do with the bottom flipper is that right??

#4 4 years ago

Knowing what machine this is would help. Different machines have different methods of activating flippers.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinminister:

I have a quick question on flippers, if you have a game that has a lower flipper and upper flipper on the same side, and if you start to have a problem with the upper flipper, does that mean that the upper flipper needs rebuilding or does the lower flipper somehow control the upper flipper and should the lower flipper be rebuilt??

Before you rebuild it, what exact problem are you having?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinminister:

So that means the problem is with the upper flipper and has nothing to do with the bottom flipper is that right??

You are safe to assume that yes.

#7 4 years ago

Define "problem".

#8 4 years ago

The game is Maverick, and like I said sometimes when I hit the right flipper, the upper flipper will extend fully then drop down, or it might not extend at all when the flipper button is pushed, and sometimes it will extend but vibrate quickly....

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinminister:

and sometimes it will extend but vibrate quickly....

I'd check the coil lugs for a poor solder joint or one of the thin wires from the coil to the lug being cracked or broken, you have to dig around them sometimes to find.

LTG : )™

#10 4 years ago

Another flipper question, If I want to rebuild this flipper, how come when I go to a distributor sight like Marco or even on EBAY, there are flipper rebuild kits listed just for Maverick. However the kits only contain two flippers not three? Can one of those two flippers in the rebuild kits be used for the upper flipper. The Maverick service manual list a different part number for each flipper, so will these rebuild kits work in a Maverick??

#11 4 years ago

It could just be the flipper switch. I'm not familiar with the game but I think that was about the time they started using optos. They might just need cleaned. A Q-tip and some alcohol will do the trick if that is indeed the problem.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinminister:

However the kits only contain two flippers not three?

Data East flipper kits are unique and don't always come as the originals. They are not as common as Sega/Stern or Williams. But unlike Capcom you can get them. If you contact the supplier directly, they might hook you up with an odd number of kits if you need them. If they won't, you need to buy another Data East machine with three flippers and order three kits.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Collingwood, ON
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside