(Topic ID: 4887)

HELP! My lower right flipper is double tapping...

By mickthepin

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by mickthepin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rule_number_2__Double_Tap_by_jhroberts.jpg
    DSC01785.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Hey guys,
    The right-hand flipper on my new fishtales pinball machine is playing up; every time you try to keep the flipper up it faults and double hits very quickly, I've tryed cleaning and playing with it and it seems to be looser then the left flipper, I am running through the manual and I've noticed that the flipper crank could be tightened and I am wondering if this would help and what should I do?

#2 12 years ago

i did a rebuild on my STTNG's upper flipper and it didn't solve the issue of double tapping when i try to hold it. i'm going to try a new coil, but are there any other options?

#3 12 years ago

Try cleaning the contacts on the flipper button.

#4 12 years ago

Clean and regap the eos switch on the coil and clean/adjust the cabinet switch as well. Or replace the switches if the contacts are toast...

#5 12 years ago

Could also be a loose connection. Re-solder the lugs and the diode.

#6 12 years ago

Try the easy things first. Cleaning the contacts on the flipper buttons and EOS switches. Also make sure the EOS switches are adjusted appropriately. Then you can move on the the more complicated stuff.

#7 12 years ago

Sounds like a loose diode on the lugs. Check to make sure they are all getting good connections.

#8 12 years ago

Sounds like cold solder on either diode or lug wires, could also could be bad EOS switch as everyone has already said - Also check the fliptronics board could be something loose on there. (dont have a fishtales but I think its flipptronics)

#9 12 years ago

for my STTNG upper flipper i put a new switch by the coil, the old was practically had a hole in it from making contact in the one spot! the power on my upper flipper is great due to the rebuild, i have been picard maneuvering away! it was so weak before i could never hit the delta quadrant. but the double tap persists. i'm pretty poor/new at soldering and DID reconnect one of the wires to the coil because it wasn't even on there at all previously. the connection seems ok but how do "cold joints" happen? because i likely did it! i'll snap a pic of my rebuilt flipper area today as well. the diode seems to be on there good as well. thanks for all the help, and for the guy who started this thread...?

#10 12 years ago

here's some pics, just resoldered the switch, orange wire was loose.(like i said need practice soldering... )
    got super excited that it was a quick fix but, oh well, not the switch.

DSC01785.JPGDSC01785.JPG

#11 12 years ago

i cleaned the flipper opto board as well, so its safe to say thats not the issue (plus the lower right flipper works with no hitch)

#12 12 years ago

jespo_19,

I know this is off topic, but why didn't you use a super flex for the lock insert? I think it would be better illuminated that way.

#13 12 years ago

good call gweem i DO have another one, DOH!
    NOOO.... i have 555 flexes no 44's!!!

#14 12 years ago

WOW, i resoldered one of the lugs (the one i had previously done) wasn't loose but i did it anyway. now when i fire the game up and press start no ball is fed to the launcher and both cannons simultaneously fire once about every 2-5 seconds. seems like i've angered the pinball gods today...

#15 12 years ago

sorry to yank everyones chain around, i discovered, no diodes at all on there!?i remembered them being there before! sorry everyone, rookie mistake and careless. it may have cost me... does anyone know what happens to a game when no diodes are on a coil? cause right now it acted insane when i turned it on. no flippers at all, weird ball searches etc. i ordered a new coil from pinballlife so we'll see i guess. i'm going to avoid touching it till the new coil comes i don't want to mess anything up further. am i blowing it out of proportion doing major damage etc? or should the new coil w/diodes fix the issue? thanks again guys, i feel terrible for overlooking this NO DIODES......

#16 12 years ago

nuff said

Rule_number_2__Double_Tap_by_jhroberts.jpgRule_number_2__Double_Tap_by_jhroberts.jpg

#17 12 years ago

Just order some diodes. It doesn't sound like you need a new coil.

#18 12 years ago

thanks very much for all your help guys havent got it yet but then again its my first pinball and alot of what your talking about i have not grasped yet but i will get there and keep you posted. thanks again

1 week later
    #19 12 years ago

I have the same problem as you Mick, not sure if you had any luck...i posted another thread here, as i am too new to pins...here is what i tried so far to no success...

Cleaned opto eyes on boards/switched boards problem still was there.(right flipper chatter no hold).

Replaced EOS switch gapped to .062 , replaced flipper spring problem still there..

Replaced coil,resoddered ..problem still there...

This is where i am now, am over my head! I pulled the fliptronics 2 board and tried to replace the Tip102 transistor on Q11...now neither flippers work!

may buy the PINLED fliptronics 2 board

1 week later
    #20 12 years ago
    Quoted from yenningcomity:

Could also be a loose connection. Re-solder the lugs and the diode.

Following up on this, My Dr. Who machine was acting similarly and when I investigated,
    I could see the flipper hold coil arcing at the lug. Re-soldering took care of it.

#21 12 years ago

my problem was completely fixed by the new coil. i have two diodes here i'm going to put on the old coil and test though.

#22 12 years ago

yeh had to get new coil and that fixed my problem

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flippers-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.