New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 259017)

Flipper with EOS switch that doesn't need one

By Seamlesswall

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by russdx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

Tuned up a Stern Simpsons. Flipper had an EOS switch but no actuator to open it. Only 2 lugs to the coil. Assume the software takes care of the voltage drop in hold mode. Should I just solder the 2 wires together? Would it make a difference?

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Tuned up a Stern Simpsons. Flipper had an EOS switch but no actuator to open it. Only 2 lugs to the coil. Assume the software takes care of the voltage drop in hold mode. Should I just solder the 2 wires together? Would it make a difference?

By the time they made Simpson they had solid state flippers. No EOS needed. Maybe the flipper was replaced and they just used a bracket that had one? Pictures would help.

#3 9 months ago

Actuator break off? You are correct that the software primarily takes care of controlling voltage to the coil to transfer between power and hold as Sterns use a single wound coil with 2 lugs.

The game still uses the EOS as a confirmation that the flipper is at full stroke. I'd replace the pawl if it's missing the actuator. I would NOT solder the wires together. Fix it correctly.

#4 9 months ago

Every 90s game has EOS, despite the solid state flippers, in order to know when a fast moving ball has pushed the flipper down.

#6 9 months ago

It's also possible someone rebuilt the flippers and didn't realize there is a left and right side... if you put these on wrong, the actuator for the EOS will be upside down and not contact the switch.

#7 9 months ago

If the coil only had 2 lugs and not 3 the switch is not required and can be removed / ignored

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

If the coil only had 2 lugs and not 3 the switch is not required and can be removed / ignored

Sorry, but this is not true.

The game will operate without it but as already mentioned the software reads this switch to see if the flipper bat has been knocked backwards by a fast moving ball. It will then give the coil a burst of "full" power to bring the flipper back to where it should be and then revert to "hold" power again. Thinking logicaly I don't think that they have fitted something at time of manufacture that was not needed given their need to cut costs.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

If the coil only had 2 lugs and not 3 the switch is not required

100% incorrect, it serves the exact same purpose in a Stern Whitestar machine as it does in a Williams WPC machine.

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Every 90s game has EOS, despite the solid state flippers, in order to know when a fast moving ball has pushed the flipper down.

No, this is incorrect. Jurassic Park was the first DE game to use the EOS switch with the solid state flipper, due to the raptor pit kickback. Game before JP didn't have an EOS.

(This applies to DE games only as far as not having EOS switches.)

#11 9 months ago

The EOS is also used to cut full power as soon as the flipper is up, rather than a timed pulse. When it is not functioning, the longer timed pulse will heat the flipper up much more with extended play, causing weak flipper.
Replace the switch, it is needed for proper play.

1 week later
#12 9 months ago

oh my mistake!
coil held in software rather then 2 winding's on these machines?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 16.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside