Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm after some advice on testing my flipper voltages on my Batman Forever. I've always felt that the flippers have seemed a bit weak so with some time on my hands I though I would investigate.

What I have done so far:
- Rebuilt all 3 flippers with full kits including new coils for the lower two and new EOS switches
- P/Supply, PPB Board, CPU Board and Flipper Board has been checked over and serviced (by a board tech, not by me)
- New Cabinet Switches

I started to follow the pinwiki on testing voltages. My manual lists the pins slightly different to the wiki so I went by the manual in regards to pin numbers.
Firstly I need to make sure I am testing this correctly, I am following this section of the wiki:

Enter Diagnostics (so power is sent to the flippers)
Check for 50VDC at the coil lugs (DMM set to DC volts, black lead on game ground, red lead on banded side of coil diode)
Press flipper button and check for about 8VDC hold voltage
Check power/hold voltage on flipper board (DMM set to DC volts, black lead on game ground, red lead on CN2 pins 6&7 (8VDC hold), CN2 pins 8&9 (50VDC power stroke)
If you have no voltage on CN2-8 and CN2-9, check the PPB board J7-1 and J7-5.
If you have no hold voltage on CN2-6 of the flipper board, check the Power Supply board CN1-10 and CN1-11. If you have no hold voltage on the coil lugs, check the hold fuses on the TY-FFASI board.

So this is what I did:
-Turned game on and entered diagnostic menu.
- Checked for 50V at the coil Lugs - My result was only 7.5V. This is the same whether the coin door is closed or open and also with the power protect switch pulled out
- Then I went back to flipper board to check there, My pins are listed in the manual as:
1 - Upper Flipper Power
2 - Upper Flipper Power
3 - Not used
4 - Left Flipper Power
5 - Left flipper Power
6 - Key
7 - Right Flipper Power
8 - Right Flipper Power
9 - +8V AC
10 - +8V AC
11 - +50V DC
12 - +50V DC

So these are my readings Pins 1&2 - 7.8V, 4&5 - 7.7V, 7&8 - 7.7V, 9&10 -0.3V, 11&12 72V

If I go into coil test and check the voltage while pressing the flipper buttons I only seem to get approx. 7.5V, I don't get the high voltage spike

This is where I am at the moment and first of all, I'm not great at Testing/Diagnosing Electronics so I don't know if I am testing with the correct procedure.

Any advice is appreciated, It may just be me thinking they are weak

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-voltage-testing-on-sega-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.