Flipper vibrates how do I solve?

By Tridentphoto

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Faces Segasa-Sonic, 1976
#1 9 years ago

So I installed new flipper coils last night, and was blowing the 15a fuse every time I used them. Then I cut the diodes, since there were none on the old coils, but now instead of holding, it vibrates like a machine gun.
What now?

#2 9 years ago

What era machine?

Start by checking the end of stroke switch wiring and adjustment if so equipped.

#3 9 years ago

Usually vibrating flippers are caused by the eos switch not being gapped properly. I'd check those first.

#4 9 years ago

The gaps good, but it has no holding power. I thought maybe the spring was too stiff, but even with no spring, the slightest touch makes it fall.
And that's both sides.
It's a Segasa Faces. 70's era

#5 9 years ago

Son of a bitch! They sent me the wrong coil. This is a 20/300 33/1500 not a 20/300 28/400
That explains it.

#6 9 years ago

This is an older EM. No diode should be present, as you figured out. Did you replace with the same flipper coils? (These should be WMS EM coils--not all flipper coils are the same!) Are both coils vibrating? If so, might be wrong flipper coils.

If the coils are correct, it's also important to clean the EOS switches thoroughly, as well as the flipper button contacts. Best way is to put a new dollar bill or rough business card between the contacts (folded into a narrow strip as needed), pinch the contacts together on the bill/card, and pull it through the contacts. Then make sure these contacts sit flat against each other with a bit of tension. EOS switch should open just before the top of stroke (say, when the flipper tip is about 1/2" from fully up). The full power-stroke current to the flipper coil passes thru both the flipper button switch and EOS switch in these games.

Faces is pretty cool game; I bet the playfield and backglass are almost perfect, right?

#7 9 years ago

Yes, it's in great shape

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-vibrates-how-do-i-solve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.