• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper.jpg
IMG_3813.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've just rebuilt my flippers on my AFM with two flipper rebuild kits. Both are aligned and symetrical both in the lowered and raised positions.

Although I'm not a particularly good player, I'm sure I should be able to get a ball up the centre much easier than I am. Also a ball can easily come to rest in on the middle of a bat in the up position (ie it doesn't roll down to the axis of the flipper bat). Now I've never seen that before.

Originally I had adjusted the bats with the "toothpick trick", but they then weren't in line with the inlane guides, so I lifted them up a tad. The machine played better, but it's practically the same with difficult SUTM shots being near on impossible from the bat (I can only achieve a SUTM shot with a ball bouncing on the flipper) and the ball still likes to stay in the middle of the bat instead of rolling down.

I've been playing like this for a while now, but have just read Clay's guide for flipper bat adjustment. He writes that the bat travel should be 2 3/8 inches. Mine is just 2 inches.

Is the 2 3/8 travel just about standard everywhere? If it is, why has the new rebuild kit resulted in just a 2 inch travel?

Should the AFM also have a 2 3/8 travel? It certainly would solve this particuular problem if it did, but then again, I don't want to be cheating!

Thanks

Goz

#2 10 years ago

Up

#3 10 years ago

One thing to check for, is bent brackets. This can change the amount of play a flipper has... sometimes people will compensate for worn coil stops, by bending the brackets!

#4 10 years ago

After a bit more research, I believe that there are plungers and coil stops of different lengths. The plungers range from 57mm up to 62mm in length and all have the same Wiliams part numbers in the shops (that is what I have read but not verified personally).

This would explain my predicament, but I do need to verify it.

Also I assume that Clay is right in his value for flipper bat travel of 2 3/8 inches and this will be my target.

Watch this space.....

Goz

#5 10 years ago

OK, so I gave up with the investigating and just followed Clay's guide and bent the *rest* flipper link bracket to give me 2 3/8" tavel on the flipper bat. I had to bend them a fair way back though:

IMG_3813.jpgIMG_3813.jpg

Not really happy with this, as I'm not convinced this is the right solution, but the only other alternative would be to grind down the coil stop and/or the plunger, as far as I can see.

Comments?

Cheers!

Goz

#6 10 years ago

This is the difference between the two rebuild kits:

Games made from 02/1992 to 04/1993 have longer flipper travel:

Getaway
Addams Family
Black Rose
Docter Who
Fish Tales
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Whitewater
BS Dracula
Twilight Zone

=========================================================

Games made from 08/1993 to 10/1998 have shorter flipper travel:

Indiana Jones
Judge Dredd
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Demolition Man
Popeye Save the Earth
World Cup Soccer
The Flintstones
Corvette
Road Show
the addams family gold
The Shadow
Dirty Harry
Theatre of Magic
No Fear
Indianapolis 500
Johnny Mnemonic
WHO dunnit
Jackbot
Congo
Attack from Mars
Safecracker
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Scared Stiff
junkyard
NBA Fastbreak
Medieval Madness
Cirqus Voltaire
No Good Gofers
Champion Pub
Monster Bash
Cactus Canyon

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Gozzle:

Not really happy with this, as I'm not convinced this is the right solution, but the only other alternative would be to grind down the coil stop and/or the plunger, as far as I can see.

If you have the wrong kit, there is nothing wrong with bending the return bracket to give the full flipper travel.

OPs used to do it all the time.

#8 10 years ago

Read this.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/flippers/index4.html

It talks about all the different coil stop sizes, different parts, etc, in the kits.

EDIT: and this...

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/flippers/index5.html

#9 10 years ago

So is Clay's 2 3/8 inch tip travel the long or the short travel?

And what would be the shorter/longer value then be.

Surely this is a key part of pinball design and should therefore be a definitive value and something we all should know!

Strange therefore, that it's never come up before.

Thanks for your help here!

Cheers!

Goz

#10 10 years ago

I'd say that since the games had different amounts of travel, and everyone uses the same rebuild kit anyway, then flipper travel comes down to a matter of personal taste, and just making your machines play nice.

#11 10 years ago

Interesting point.

So if they're all different by design, how do you find out how much travel the flipper bats are meant to have (by design) for each machine? It should probably be in the manual, but it's not.

Cheers!

Goz

#12 10 years ago

I've wondered this also. Interesting to see that list of pins with different travel length Vid!

I prefer the shorter travel. It's harder to trap the ball but I like the challenge, and it suits better for passing and cradle separations etc. I also feel like the shorter travel gives you better fidelity for aiming. Longer travel is friendlier for newbies for trapping and outside shots don't have to be made uncomfortably late.

#13 10 years ago

OK So if we can't get an answer to this question, how do PAPA set up their flipper bats?

Cheers!

Goz

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Gozzle:

OK So if we can't get an answer to this question, how do PAPA set up their flipper bats?

I'm sure they use the correct flipper mech for the game.

As for the bats themselves, just set them up using the official Williams flipper gap tool, and tighten the bat so that it is perfectly inline with the ball guide (or use the little alignment holes in the playfield).

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure they use the correct flipper mech for the game.

What makes you sure of that? MHS/PAPA don't seem to care much about adhering to original specs when setting up their tournament games. Some tournaments use the later style coil stops (shorter travel) on all of their tournament games in order to make them a little harder. I wouldn't be surprised if PAPA did.

I do this occasionally with location games if I feel like they're playing a little too easy. It doesn't really make the games harder for noobs, who tend to swat the ball away anyway, but it does make them a little trickier for the pros who are always looking to trap the ball.

Gozzle: AFM has shorter travel by design, but if you want it to be a little longer why not just use old-style coil stops? Bending the brackets is a little ghetto, and it might confuse or cause problems for the next owner if you ever sell the game.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for the response.

If the AFM had shorter travel "by design" then that's what I want. But with the replacement kit, which I fitted and before I brute forced the bracket, meant that I could hold the ball in the middle of the bat in the elevated position. This can't be right and can only assume if this bat angle is indeed the right angle in the elevated position, then my playfield is just "sticky".

So how can I find out what value of travel the flipper bat should have by design?

Sorry to keep on, but I'd like to get it right if I can!

Thanks!

Goz

1 month later
#17 10 years ago

I just bought my first pinball last week. I noticed that the travel on my flippers differed from each other. Looking closely, they are different mechanisms. I believe the right flipper was changed fairly recently. It has an extra arm (a spring tab) on it to connect with a new type of spring, though it still has a wrap-around spring installed.

I think the difference in the travel is caused by how far the plunger can travel into the solenoid. I notice that the fiber/plastic linkage on the two are different. The old (left) one is trimmed (notched) in such a way that when activated, the linkage actually can fit partly into the solenoid channel, whereas the newer linkage stops when hitting the front of the solenoid.

Both cases seem wrong because I can't imagine it making sense to have the linkage be the stop mechanism. I would think that would break something after a while.

One other thing I notice, is that when my right flipper is activated, if the ball drops and lands on the end of the flipper, it sort of bounces it back up. I think the ball hitting it is breaking the end-of-travel switch, then more current is going to the flipper, and bouncing the ball back up a tiny amount.

In any case, I actually mis-adjusted my right flipper so i'm able to trap the ball. Otherwise it would roll off down the drain.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from CoNemesis:

I just bought my first pinball last week. I noticed that the travel on my flippers differed from each other. Looking closely, they are different mechanisms. I believe the right flipper was changed fairly recently. It has an extra arm (a spring tab) on it to connect with a new type of spring, though it still has a wrap-around spring installed.
I think the difference in the travel is caused by how far the plunger can travel into the solenoid. I notice that the fiber/plastic linkage on the two are different. The old (left) one is trimmed (notched) in such a way that when activated, the linkage actually can fit partly into the solenoid channel, whereas the newer linkage stops when hitting the front of the solenoid.
Both cases seem wrong because I can't imagine it making sense to have the linkage be the stop mechanism. I would think that would break something after a while.
One other thing I notice, is that when my right flipper is activated, if the ball drops and lands on the end of the flipper, it sort of bounces it back up. I think the ball hitting it is breaking the end-of-travel switch, then more current is going to the flipper, and bouncing the ball back up a tiny amount.
In any case, I actually mis-adjusted my right flipper so i'm able to trap the ball. Otherwise it would roll off down the drain.

What game? I'm assuming its older since it has a spring over coil design. There is nothing wrong with the newer sidespring design, many people convert the older style to the new style.

#19 10 years ago

I contacted Terry at Pinballlife, and he informed me the only difference in the two kits was the coil stop. The early one is shorter than the late one giving it more travel. But I have been using the later kits, and it seems the link comes pretty close to the coil bracket already, and I can't see how if the coil stop was shorter the link wouldn't actually hit the coil bracket.

So I'm using the later coil stop and bending the other stop bracket to adjust travel.

#20 10 years ago

I switched the coil stops on my DW to the thicker ones giving the flippers less travel. It has made the Hang On (W) shot more difficult because it's later, but shots up the middle to the time expander are easier as there seems to be more range for aiming up the middle.

I can't shake the feeling that it's not a stock configuration though and that it's a bad thing. I might revert back.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I can't shake the feeling that it's not a stock configuration though and that it's a bad thing. I might revert back.

Games made from 02/1992 to 04/1993 have longer flipper travel:

Getaway
Addams Family
Black Rose
Docter Who
Fish Tales
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Whitewater
BS Dracula
Twilight Zone

=========================================================

Games made from 08/1993 to 10/1998 have shorter flipper travel:

Indiana Jones
Judge Dredd
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Demolition Man
Popeye Save the Earth
World Cup Soccer
The Flintstones
Corvette
Road Show
the addams family gold
The Shadow
Dirty Harry
Theatre of Magic
No Fear
Indianapolis 500
Johnny Mnemonic
WHO dunnit
Jackbot
Congo
Attack from Mars
Safecracker
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Scared Stiff
junkyard
NBA Fastbreak
Medieval Madness
Cirqus Voltaire
No Good Gofers
Champion Pub
Monster Bash
Cactus Canyon

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

What game? I'm assuming its older since it has a spring over coil design. There is nothing wrong with the newer sidespring design, many people convert the older style to the new style.

1980 Williams Blackout

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CoNemesis:

Some hack just threw together anything he had to fix the flipper.

Rebuild both sides with the newer springs that hang off the side tabs, new stops, new plungers and links. Your game will play better than new.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#24 10 years ago

I noticed at PAPA how short the flipper travel was on many pins. My collection is mostly early 1980's Bally pins and I am used to long flipper travel. I would guess they have a huge box of coil stops that are all long, many of the early pins that I would have expected to have a longer flipper travel did not, at least that is my memory. (Though hard to bitch much about the short flipper travel. Every pin I played still had strong, working flippers. After going to many events where a large number of the pins either had weak or broken flippers, short flipper travel is not that big of deal)

Has anyone noticed if you bend the flipper bracket like the OP did, does this hurt the flippers power in a noticeable way? I would guess the plunger not being in the coil as much would reduce the power of the flipper, but perhaps not to any noticeable level.

1 month later
#25 10 years ago

To solve this, I used a sharp utility knife and carved away a notch on both sides of the plastic linkage. I did this until the plunger could be sunk until it hit the stop, rather than stopping when the linkage slammed into the solenoid. This also saved the spring from being crushed in the process.

After doing this, and finding it to resolve my problem, I found this link on the Action Pinball site, which describes the same process. http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/wms_flipkit.htm

Scroll about halfway down, under the section titled "Modifications"

flipper.jpgflipper.jpg
#26 10 years ago

That's a great idea. I've just encountered this issue after rebuilding my Dr Dude flippers. Just as you described, the linkage crushes the spring against the coil bracket/sleeve.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

16,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-travel-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.