Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flip (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

My 1994 Bally "The Shadow" recently started having issues with the EOS switch on the left flipper. If you hold the flipper button down, the flipper bounces a couple times then falls back down. In short, I'm getting the higher voltage, but not the lower voltage. What is generally the cause of this? It just started doing this. What do i need to do to fix it? Is the switch bad? Is it more in depth than that? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 5 years ago

Go into the flipper test, and find the left flipper hold test. Hold the flipper up with your finger, start the test, and let go of the flipper. See if it stays up.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Go into the flipper test, and find the left flipper hold test. Hold the flipper up with your finger, start the test, and let go of the flipper. See if it stays up.

Thank you for your input! I'll have to try that when I get home. What would be the different variables if the flipper does or does not stay up during testing?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TrashCanDan:

Thank you for your input! I'll have to try that when I get home. What would be the different variables if the flipper does or does not stay up during testing?

The EOS switch shouldn't effect it on a fliptronics machine. As you said, likely you're not getting the lower power 'hold'. If there isn't a hold in the test (compare vs a working flipper to make sure you know what you're looking for as it is a bit subtle), then that narrows it down to the coil drive circuit, and you can go check fuses, connectors, transistor, etc

#5 5 years ago

Alright, so I did the hold test and it did not hold the way the other 2 flippers are. I checked the fuse and it's still good. As soon as I figure out how to test transistors and all that, i will do do. Thank you very much!

Quoted from zacaj:

The EOS switch shouldn't effect it on a fliptronics machine. As you said, likely you're not getting the lower power 'hold'. If there isn't a hold in the test (compare vs a working flipper to make sure you know what you're looking for as it is a bit subtle), then that narrows it down to the coil drive circuit, and you can go check fuses, connectors, transistor, etc

#6 5 years ago

Test the coil winding first.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Test the coil winding first.

How do i do that? Sorry I'm such a newb at this.

#8 5 years ago

You want to use an ohm meter to test if the winding is still ok. Most flipper coils have 2 winding's, a high power and a hold winding. Your high power is working, this is labeled primary on the picture. So you need to test the hold winding labeled secondary on the picture. With the game turned OFF take the DMM and set it to ohms, place one lead on each of the outside terminals of the coil. The meter should read @ 133 ohms. Let us know what you find.

flip (resized).jpgflip (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago

Well I'm aparently an oblivious dummy. Went to test the coil only to find that a wire was unattached from one of the coil terminals. I have a sneaking suspicion that that could be the source of my problem. Thank you all so much for your help, I feel pretty dumb right now.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TrashCanDan:

I feel pretty dumb right now.

I wouldn't. You found it. Fixed it. And learned a little more about your game.

LTG : )

#11 5 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-switch-troubles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.