Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150504010209179.jpg
20150504010159592.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have a switch stack on a Gottlieb System 80A.

The EOS switch works fine, but there is an extra switch on top of that that is permanently shorted when it's screwed down (according to a multimeter test). As soon as I unscrew it, and test the switch leaves with a multimeter, the problem goes away. As soon as I put the screws back in, the problem returns.

Is there something I should be doing in order to prevent the screws from making contact with the leaves of the switch?

20150504010159592.jpg20150504010159592.jpg
20150504010209179.jpg20150504010209179.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Do you have the little plastic tubes in there that the screws go through?

Looking at the pix, the top leaf is in direct contact with the screw plate. Have you tried installing a thin wafer (or fishpaper) there to separate them?

I couldn't quite make out the lugs, but it looks like the white/purple is globbed together on two lugs? Maybe the top switch is getting shorted by the N/C EOS switch through the lugs?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Do you have the little plastic tubes in there that the screws go through?
Looking at the pix, the top leaf is in direct contact with the screw plate. Have you tried installing a thin wafer (or fishpaper) there to separate them?
I couldn't quite make out the lugs, but it looks like the white/purple is globbed together on two lugs? Maybe the top switch is getting shorted by the N/C EOS switch through the lugs?

There's no plastic tubes. Does anyone sell them?

There is no connectivity between the EOS switch and the other switch. The angle of the photo makes it look like the wire is on two lugs, but they're actually separate.

#4 8 years ago

Most leaf stacks like this have plastic tubes that the screws feed through. I'm *assuming* this stack is the same. Is there a bit of slop in the holes where the screws feed through?

Pinball Resource probably has the tubes.

#5 8 years ago

I imagine heat shrink tubing could be used as a short term fix and the verify the solution. It wouldn't need to be shrunk of course.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Is there a bit of slop in the holes where the screws feed through?

I'm not sure, I'll have to take a closer look. It didn't seem like there was very much space.

Quoted from Cheddar:

I imagine heat shrink tubing could be used as a short term fix and the verify the solution. It wouldn't need to be shrunk of course.

That is a clever idea. I'll have to see if I have any that is small enough to fit.

#7 8 years ago

Check the fish paper pcs. on the switch stack...I can see 2. They are there to 'insulate' so another option for a fix.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I have done this, it works. I had stuff that was too large to fit, so i left the bottom of the screw bare and heated the rest around the screw that wnt through the stack.

#9 8 years ago

I ended up adding heat shrink tubing on the screws, which stopped the switch from shorting. Thanks for the suggestion, Cheddar

Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Check the fish paper pcs. on the switch stack...I can see 2. They are there to 'insulate' so another option for a fix.

There was fish paper between the EOS switch and the switch on the top of the stack. There is also a non-conductive spacer between the two leaves of the switch on top of the stack. The problem was that the screws were making contact with all the parts in the top switch.

#10 8 years ago

Congrats on the fix! I've seen the leaf paper torn and cause the problem you had. Thanks for the update.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-switch-is-shorted-when-screwed-down-but-fine-without-screws and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.