7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

I finished putting together my project paragon recently, and the left flippers have this weird, intermittent "stutter" behavior. It happens every 7-8 flips or so. Basically, the flipper starts its stroke then sort of stops and finishes it's stroke. (see link to video). New EOS, transfer, and cabinet switches. I tried running some sandpaper through all to make sure good conductivity (for some reason new switches have some sort of coating on them sometimes). I tried replacing the coil. All switches are properly gapped.

I'm at a loss. What should I try next?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdg5bo8cd0a2loi/IMG_0992.mov?dl=0

#2 7 months ago

I hope you are not running sandpaper through the playfield switches. Those are gold plated and should be cleaned with paper like a business card.

Possible the eos is not adjusted properly and is opening too soon. The EOS should open at about 80% of the stroke. The EOS should also open before the upper flipper activation switch closes. (Break Make). Check the EOS adjustment by pushing in the flipper link with your finger and not by turning the flipper itself.

#3 7 months ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

I hope you are not running sandpaper through the playfield switches. Those are gold plated and should be cleaned with paper like a business card.
    Possible the eos is not adjusted properly and is opening too soon. The EOS should open at about 80% of the stroke. The EOS should also open before the upper flipper activation switch closes. (Break Make). Check the EOS adjustment by pushing in the flipper link with your finger and not by turning the flipper itself.

All the switches involved with the flipper (eos and cab) are high voltage, not gold plated

#4 7 months ago

I'm not downloading anything to be able to watch the video...

#5 7 months ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I'm not downloading anything to be able to watch the video...

You should be able to just stream it on Dropbox, you don’t need to download it

#6 7 months ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

I’ll check the break/make timing, thanks!

You are correct DO NOT file or sand gold plated switches. These are not gold plated switches though.

#7 7 months ago

EOS gap and break timing is where I start on issues like this. I've also had it happen with coils that had partial shorts in them. If you lift the playfield and watch what happens while you are replicating the issue that can help pinpoint the issue.

#8 7 months ago

Could try just disconnecting the secondary 'make' switch that powers the upper flipper to see if the lower playfield stops having issues

#9 7 months ago

alright, so it was indeed the EOS/Transfer timing. The EOS was opening then there was a small delay before the transfer switch would engage. I adjusted so the EOS breaks and Transfer switch makes at about the same time. No more flipper stutter. Still don't understand why the problem was intermittent before, but I'm glad it's now resolved. Thanks for the help pinside!

#10 7 months ago

Glad you have it. The important thing to remember here is to always adjust flipper switches by pressing the link in and not turning the flipper.
    While flipper switch contacts are high voltage and can be cleaned aggressively such as filing them, low voltage switch matrix switches are gold plated and should be cleaned only with paper. A business card or, as we old timers used to do, sliding a dollar bill through them.

#11 7 months ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

The important thing to remember here is to always adjust flipper switches by pressing the link in and not turning the flipper.

I second this. If there's any wear in the bakelite flipper link there's a chance the EOS switch will not open at all if it's gapped tight and you adjusted it by turning the flipper. And we all know what happens when the EOS switch doesn't open and you trap a ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 137.00
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 157.00
    $ 64.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 26.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside