(Topic ID: 13452)

Flipper strength: LOTR vs SM

By ninjabones

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjabones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Just got my NIB SM last week from Trent. Enjoying the new game immensely; however, one thing my wife and I have noticed is the difference in flipper strength between SM and LOTR. Our flippers on LOTR are super strong and you can nail ring shots and ramp shots consistently. However, on SM they just feel a bit weak... a good proportion of shots don't make it all the way up the ramps, etc. I have the SM set at 7 degrees and the LOTR at 6.5 (not sure the angle of the playfield would make much of a difference). Also, I'm not the original owner of the LOTR and wondering if the PO upgraded the coils (is there a way to check that?). Feedback appreciated.

#8 12 years ago

Ok.. it was my hunch that all was fine. I'll lower the playfield angle to 6.5. DCFAN's comments are similar to my experience. Ramp shots on SM can be made from both flippers, but have to be dead-on. With LOTR, you can slam the rails and posts and still make all the ramp shots. I suspected that the games must have been designed slightly differently, and now knowing that the coils are different confirms it.

Power doesn't seam to be an issue for the venom shot, only my extremely poor skills (maybe 1 in 5 hits currently). Have to work on that. Also, I'm finding that it's much easier to make the Doc Oc shot from the right flipper (similar to what I found with the Sword/aragorn ramp on LOTR). Shots from the left flipper bounce back at least half the time... probably would be made even worse with stronger coils.

Do the deadening pads help significantly with the Doc Oc shots?

#10 12 years ago

yeah, I saw your post on the magnet issue. Mine appears to be relatively flat (ie., not raised from the playfield).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjabones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-strength-lotr-vs-sm?tu=ninjabones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.