Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just got my NIB SM last week from Trent. Enjoying the new game immensely; however, one thing my wife and I have noticed is the difference in flipper strength between SM and LOTR. Our flippers on LOTR are super strong and you can nail ring shots and ramp shots consistently. However, on SM they just feel a bit weak... a good proportion of shots don't make it all the way up the ramps, etc. I have the SM set at 7 degrees and the LOTR at 6.5 (not sure the angle of the playfield would make much of a difference). Also, I'm not the original owner of the LOTR and wondering if the PO upgraded the coils (is there a way to check that?). Feedback appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

My flippers on SM are plenty strong enough to make the ramps.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Also, I'm not the original owner of the LOTR and wondering if the PO upgraded the coils (is there a way to check that?). Feedback appreciated.

There is a upgraded flipper coil for LOTR. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112&parent=0 I think all you have to do to check this is look at the reference number on the coil.

My guess is they've been changed if they feel that much different.

Also I would make Spideys slope 6.5 degrees.

#4 7 years ago

Lord of the rings uses 5020 coils. Spiderman uses 5032. You don't want them to be the same. Lord of the rings has ramps on the back of the machine like the ring ramp and the left ramp. This requires stronger coils to work.

Spiderman has a lot of close up shots. If you make the coils stronger then the game will become much harder. Shots are close. The target bank for say sandman will bounce back at you way too fast. The shot to doc oc will bounce out rather than stay in. The flippers need to be strong enough but not too strong. You should be able to hit the left and right ramps with either flipper. It does require an accurate shot but it should be possible. That is how the game is intended. You definite do not want to replace your coils in that game.

#5 7 years ago

I have the same issue with my NIB SM. The Venom ramp shot is hard to make, only because you have to hit it perfect for the ball to make it all the way up it. If the flipper was a just a little stronger more of the shots would make it up the Venom ramp even if they were not perfectly aimed.
I do not really have any problem with the right ramp shot since that one is less steep and a little more spread out.

Also, the LOTR LE feels like a tank as compared to SM when playing them.

I think I am going to go back and make sure the slope on SM is not more than 6.5 degrees.

#6 7 years ago

I haven't played LotR recently, so I can't give a head-to-head comparison.

I find the SM flippers nice and strong (provided fresh sleeves, rubber, etc) - but that doesn't mean the shot will make it up the ramp each time. SM seems to be one of those games that the ball will lose a lot of energy if the shot isn't fairly dead-on (a SR thing it seems as my BK is much the same way). When the shot is made, I've found that I can have the ball fly out of venom and off the wire forms back onto the pf (i.e., missing the switch on the wire form) if its shot too hard.

I would agree with markmon that stronger flippers would cause other problems. I regularly get shots back from Sandman targets that can't be caught as well as balls bouncing back or even thru Doc Ock.

#7 7 years ago

I agree, after owning the game for about a month, I think the ramps are meant to need near perfect shots for success.
Also, It seems with Stern machines that it is critical to set the machines almost exactly at 6.5 degrees to get proper gameplay.

#8 7 years ago

Ok.. it was my hunch that all was fine. I'll lower the playfield angle to 6.5. DCFAN's comments are similar to my experience. Ramp shots on SM can be made from both flippers, but have to be dead-on. With LOTR, you can slam the rails and posts and still make all the ramp shots. I suspected that the games must have been designed slightly differently, and now knowing that the coils are different confirms it.

Power doesn't seam to be an issue for the venom shot, only my extremely poor skills (maybe 1 in 5 hits currently). Have to work on that. Also, I'm finding that it's much easier to make the Doc Oc shot from the right flipper (similar to what I found with the Sword/aragorn ramp on LOTR). Shots from the left flipper bounce back at least half the time... probably would be made even worse with stronger coils.

Do the deadening pads help significantly with the Doc Oc shots?

#9 7 years ago

Hey Ninja, make sure that the magnet core in front of Dock Ock is not above the surface of the playfield. If it is, it will cause many bounce outs that do not register as a hit. The magnet core effectively turns into a ramp and the ball flys slightly and hits the blue pad on Dock instead of going into the VUK hole.
I had that problem and fixed it, and also installed the pads in the back and have not had any bounce outs or problems since.

#10 7 years ago

yeah, I saw your post on the magnet issue. Mine appears to be relatively flat (ie., not raised from the playfield).

#11 7 years ago

You also can adjust your coils in menu may want to give that a try. But as mentioned by others make sure you have the playfield angle correct it is important.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bentonville, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Boards
PinSound
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 219.99
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside