Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi all. I'm fairly new to owning a pinball machine. I bought Johnny mnemonic and noticed the left flipper is sticking more often. It sticks in the up position. Is there an easy remedy for this issue? What replacement parts (if any) should I buy? Thanks

#2 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Vid1900 wrote this up just for you.

Helps identify parts and things to check and then fix.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

If you turn the game off does the flipper fall back into position, or is it mechanically getting stuck?

If it's a mechanical issue see Vid's guide on rebuilding flippers. It's a sticky in one of the technical forums.

Post edited by terryb: I type slow.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from mkammeraad:

Hi all. I'm fairly new to owning a pinball machine. I bought Johnny Mnemonic and noticed the left flipper is sticking more often. It sticks in the up position. Is there an easy remedy for this issue? What replacement parts (if any) should I buy? Thanks

See if the coil sleeve for the flipper is broken. If so it's about as easy a fix as you can hope for.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-one-remove-a-coil-sleeve

#5 9 years ago

If the flipper sticks up only when the game is on, then it's a coil issue - you'd best be advised to replace the coil and diodes, since it's likely that the coil is a bit burnt at this point.

If it sticks up whether or not the game is on, then there's a problem with the flipper plunger or sleeve. The sleeve may be cracked or the plunger may be mushroomed out and getting stuck. If that's the case, you need only replace the plunger and sleeve, or if you're feeling enterprising and can't wait for a replacement, you can use a dremel to shave down the mushrooming on the plunger.

#6 9 years ago

Have you actually taken a look underneath the playfield yet?

That suggestion and many helpful others were in the other thread where you asked us about this issue.

It's not just gonna fix itself, and it's stupid to just start ordering parts.

Investigate the problem and listen to the suggestions you've already gotten in both threads.

In other words...you aren't gonna fix this without opening your pinball machine.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

If the flipper sticks up only when the game is on, then it's a coil issue - you'd best be advised to replace the coil and diodes, since it's likely that the coil is a bit burnt at this point.
If it sticks up whether or not the game is on, then there's a problem with the flipper plunger or sleeve. The sleeve may be cracked or the plunger may be mushroomed out and getting stuck. If that's the case, you need only replace the plunger and sleeve, or if you're feeling enterprising and can't wait for a replacement, you can use a dremel to shave down the mushrooming on the plunger.

This response doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If the flipper sticks up when the game is off it can be any number of issues - coil stop, spring, something loose, or yes a burnt coil.

If it sticks up when it's on, the coil is the last thing I'd suspect. More likely it's a switch issue or transistor issue.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks all. The flipper gets stuck when the game is on and off. I can push the flipper up with a slight bit of force and it will remain there, almost like it is magnetically stuck there. Also, when I play the machine, the flipper works fine for about 10-15 minutes, then it becomes stuck more frequently as I play. I will take the mechanism apart to see what's up, and follow the links and advice you all have posted. I'll let you all know what is going on. Thanks for the quick responses and help!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from mkammeraad:

Thanks all. The flipper gets stuck when the game is on and off. I can push the flipper up with a slight bit of force and it will remain there, almost like it is magnetically stuck there. Also, when I play the machine, the flipper works fine for about 10-15 minutes, then it becomes stuck more frequently as I play. I will take the mechanism apart to see what's up, and follow the links and advice you all have posted. I'll let you all know what is going on. Thanks for the quick responses and help!

You don't even have to "take it apart."

Just LOOK AT IT.

Seriously. Please. I'm begging you. Just open the game and look at it. That's the first step. It's always the first step. You've had this problem for days and you've just kept playing the game and making posts here.

This could be as simple as a loose screw and a misaligned coil stop. Why haven't you looked at it yet? Why are you doing this to me?!?!?!

(look at it)

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

The first thing I did was open the machine up. Nothing looked loose or burnt, but again, maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. I figure I could buy a $30 rebuild kit (includes both sides) and see if that's the problem, it's cheap enough.

#11 9 years ago

I'd manually move the bad one by hand and observe. Compare it to the working flipper. Does it have the required up/down play at the bushing? If you don't see what is binding, then take it apart. AND READ VIDS guide above.

Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 22.50
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-sticks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.