Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by erak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5958.jpg
IMG_5954.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg
IMG_5955.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Sticking Flipper on ST Pro

I have a sticking right flipper on my ST Pro. The right flipper stays up for a split second then falls back down. The more I use that flipper (Bunch of times in a row) the longer it sticks up. If I let it rest for say 30 sec or a minute it doesnt stick much if at all. Then a couple flips in a row on that flipper and its sticking up again.
The game is HOU and is lightly played. Not many games on it, less than 200.

When I lift up the playfield and actuate the flipper manually from underneath, it makes a squeaky noise and has a soft spongy feel towards the end of the stroke. EOS switch looks like it is operating properly (far as i can tell)

After doing some research on here it sounded like either the flipper link or the coil stop was bad. So I bought new parts and pulled everything apart.

The problem is the old parts look fine.
Here are some pics. I dont see any mushrooming or anything out of the ordinary.
The plastic link on the might have a tiny bit more play between it and the plunger than the brand new ones. Other than that I dont see any problems.

before just throwing a bunch of new parts on it to see if it fixed it, I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas or experience with similar problems.

thanks in advance

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

#2 4 years ago

I'd throw in the new parts anyway. Save others for spares.

If it still sticks, then lift playfield up and lean back and with a game going flip the flipper button and look for anything obvious. Pawl catching on EOS ?

LTG : )™

#3 4 years ago

Check to see if the plastic part that goes through the playfield has all the screws and is not chipped or cracked. I forget the proper name of part. Bushing I think.

#4 4 years ago

There should be a small amount of space between the flipper and the bushing - about the width of a credit card. Sometimes if the mechanism is tightened too high on the shaft it can cause it to bind.

I actually had the same problem on my ST Prem this week, also with the right lower flipper. I convinced myself that one of the metal parts inside the coil had gotten magnetized which caused it to stick. Replacing the parts fixed it.

#5 4 years ago

Does the coil stop have any wiggle to it? The only time I had the same issues on my Sterns, the coil stop was the culprit. It should be solidly affixed (the actual stop to the plate it is mounted on).

#6 4 years ago

Do you have any gold dust piled up in the bottom of the cabinet below the problem flipper? If so, you have a coil stop issue.

The left flipper on my Metallica would intermittently stick. There was a pile of gold dust in the cabinet. Removed the coil stop and it looked fine. Replaced it with a Williams stop and played many games with no problems. Decided to put the same Stern one back in and it would stick occasionally. Swapped the Williams one back in and it's been fine now for 6 months.

No idea what the issue is but it seems to be an issue with some coil stops.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd throw in the new parts anyway. Save others for spares.
If it still sticks, then lift playfield up and lean back and with a game going flip the flipper button and look for anything obvious. Pawl catching on EOS ?

hey LTG: Can you advise how would you fix the pawl sticking on the EOS? I believe this is my issue with Elvis since I see a black mark on the pawl from the blade rub. The other flipper does not have this mark. In addition, the flipper in the up position will not be allowed to be pushed back down until de-energized. Thank you. Mike V. Great Holiday to everyone!!

#8 4 years ago

Coil stop.

#9 4 years ago

Had it happen to my IMVE...turns out I had to loosen the backing nut on the flipper button as it was sticking ...

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I found that the weld between the stop and the plate would break, giving the stop a tiny amount of movement. Still looked good, but enough movement to make the flipper stick. Happened on my ST Pro, on both flippers in under 500 plays.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Do you have any gold dust piled up in the bottom of the cabinet below the problem flipper? If so, you have a coil stop issue.
The left flipper on my Metallica would intermittently stick. There was a pile of gold dust in the cabinet. Removed the coil stop and it looked fine. Replaced it with a Williams stop and played many games with no problems. Decided to put the same Stern one back in and it would stick occasionally. Swapped the Williams one back in and it's been fine now for 6 months.

I have some gold dust in my cabinet that I was wondering where it came from. No flipper issues though..Thx for the info!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

hey LTG: Can you advise how would you fix the pawl sticking on the EOS?

New coil stop, new plunger, yours is worn down allowing too much travel. And probably new EOS too as it to may be worn.

#13 4 years ago

Had the same think happen on our ST-LE upper Right Flipper, - took everything apart, everything looked fine put it back together and worked normally for about 20-25 Games & it started again.

Next I changed out the PF Bushing, Plunger, Coil Stop, the Coils Nylon Sleeve & made sure there was some up/down play on the Flipper Shaft.
Worked fine for about 300 Games & is now its doing it again (intermittently but still identical to the original issue).

Next I'm going to try changing out the Flipper itself.

I have friends with ST that have had this issue intermittently (upper right Flipper sticking) so maybe it seems to be a possible ST trait ?

Our Game only has about 1800 plays TOTAL on it so the Plunger & Coil Stops should be fine IMO.

Kim

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I found that the weld between the stop and the plate would break, giving the stop a tiny amount of movement. Still looked good, but enough movement to make the flipper stick. Happened on my ST Pro, on both flippers in under 500 plays.

What weld(s) are you referring to ?

AFAIK there aren't any welds on the Flipper Base Plates or the Coil Stops?

Are you referring to the where the Coil Stop itself is riveted/peened to the Coil Stop Bracket?

Just checked out our Game & there is NO EOS on the upper right Flipper mechanism so the EOS hanging up on the Pawl can't be the cause of my issue 8-{(.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Are you referring to the where the Coil Stop itself is riveted/peened to the Coil Stop Bracket?

Yes, thats whats I was referring to.

#16 4 years ago

I had to replace all my coil stops on Star Trek LE. Gold dust everywhere in cab and all were wiggling. I had league night and my Tron flipper was sticking up. Again coil stop was loose. Stern....fix your coil stops!

Either your coil stop is loose or the flipper bat is too tight to the bushing that comes in contact with the flipper bat.

#17 4 years ago

You guys are great. I changed out my flipper plungers and sleeves on RBION the other day then started having issues with one of them staying up when activated. I thought it was electrical problem since the flipper would release if I activated the other flipper or a coil went off somewhere else in the game. I just changed the stop and that fixed it. If only the operators in the arcades I used to play at as a kid knew that back then.

#18 4 years ago

I should mention that when I fixed mine I replace the Stern coil stop with a Williams one. The Stern coil stop was loose where the stop attaches to the plate, so this may have been the issue as others have noted.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I should mention that when I fixed mine I replace the Stern coil stop with a Williams one. The Stern coil stop was loose where the stop attaches to the plate, so this may have been the issue as others have noted.

Interesting.
Did not think they would be interchangeable.
Nice to know though.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Interesting.
Did not think they would be interchangeable.
Nice to know though.

I only used the Williams one because I didn't have a Stern one. They are slightly different and the actual stop on the Williams is hard rubber instead of metal but other than that the same. After I replaced it the coils did not go to exactly the same height when activated so I replaced the contralateral side with a Williams one also.

#21 4 years ago

This thread is just another reason to donate to Pinside.

#22 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone, I ended up replacing plunger+link and coil stop and its back to normal. And oh man did I forget how much I hate adjusting and tightening flipper bats!

#23 4 years ago

I was about to post the same problem on the left flipper for my ST LE - any other feedback out there on what worked? Planning to order some parts tomorrow.

Mine works a while and then sticks up horribly, but when I lift the playfield and try to get a better look I can't get it to stick. I thought it was something with the switch contacts since it released when the right flipper was hit, but the gap on both sides looks the same when the flipper is held/released.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

any other feedback out there on what worked? Planning to order some parts tomorrow.

Before you order any parts. Please remove the coil stop and see if the raised part that goes into the coil is loose. Then all you'd need is a new coil stop.

#25 4 years ago

I'm having the same issue with my TRON that I just brought home. interested to hear how this goes for the OP.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm having the same issue with my TRON that I just brought home. interested to hear how this goes for the OP.

Op said it was resolved and posted the solution in two posts above yours.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Altoona, PA
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside