Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jnauman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I fire up my Roadshow and the right flipper is slightly slow in returning to resting position. The longer I hold the flipper the longer the delay in re-setting.
I next throw in a Rottendog fliptronic II board and now the flipper automatically goes up and holds when the game is started. I'm assuming that this would
be an issue with the power drive board, but where should I start from there?

#2 5 years ago

When was the last time you did a flipper rebuild?

#3 5 years ago

When it's is stuck up, turn the game off. If it drops you eliminated the mechanical issues.

If it's an electrical issue. Only two things. Fliptronics board or flipper button opto boards.

Go into Tests - Switch Edge - slowly push in each flipper button, both optos on each one should register one at a time. If not working check that the interrupter is opening and closing them, then check optos them selves. Some interrupters bleed light through them, a piece of black electricians tape or paint fixes that.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

Yes, the flipper drops when I turn the game off. Everything look great in test mode. Opto board is fine. I have even replaced it with a new one with same problem then put the old one back in.

I guess why did the problem get worse, going from delay in resetting to sticking up when I put in the new fliptronics board?

#5 5 years ago

My thought would be the coil sleeve has swollen, but LTG is one of the best.

#6 5 years ago

busted coil stop is my guess. When the "nub" breaks loose from the rest of the bracket it moves around and gets magnetized and holds the flipper up

edit: cant read, didnt see it energized at start up sorry

#7 5 years ago

hence my reasoning for flipper rebuild question.

#8 5 years ago

Alright boys, I will pull coil and replace stop and sleeve. Still does not explain why the Rottendog fliptronics II board doesn't mimic problem of old fliptronic board.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

busted coil stop is my guess. When the "nub" breaks loose from the rest of the bracket it moves around and gets magnetized and holds the flipper up

That wouldn't cause the flipper to go up at power up.

#10 5 years ago

Engaging at power up says not a mechanical problem at all.

#11 5 years ago

replacing coil stop and sleeve did not help.

#12 5 years ago

whoops i cant read, edited my post. sorry

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That wouldn't cause the flipper to go up at power up.

Quoted from vid1900:

Engaging at power up says not a mechanical problem at all.

Agreed... but they did need changed

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jnauman:

Agreed... but they did need changed

Then you likely need new plunger too. Rebuild all the flippers. After you sort out the main problem.

#15 5 years ago

Will do. Any other ideas on main problem?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from jnauman:

Will do. Any other ideas on main problem?

Go to switch test.

Is it always on?

#17 5 years ago

nope.

#18 5 years ago

But the switch test does respond to the buttons?

#19 5 years ago

Right now with the original fliptronic II board in it. The flipper does not lock up. It only delays on resetting when activated.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from jnauman:

Right now with the original fliptronic II board in it. The flipper does not lock up. It only delays on resetting when activated.

are the optos clean? never had a roadshow, but had a world cup soccer that needed the optos cleaned once with a similar issue with the flipper

#21 5 years ago

ok found something odd. In switch test with coin door open it works normal. Push the button and F2 activates then F6.

Now the interesting part with the coin door closed flipper fires and f2,F1 and f6 activates and flipper delays in dropping

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

does it have optos for flipper switches? are they clean? never had a roadshow, but had a world cup soccer that needed the optos cleaned once with a similar issue with the flipper

Not optos. I already tried and brand new opto board and had same issues

#23 5 years ago

Something else interesting... if I only half push the flipper button it works fine. When push and hold flipper button is when the delay happens in dropping the flipper

#24 5 years ago

I had the problem with a NGG and the flipper button was hanging up, replaced both flipper buttons.

#25 5 years ago

It is not mechanical!!!

#26 5 years ago

Ok, so I have dove into it further... I've got 75ish volts at tp 6 on the power driver board, but when I test J104 pin 1&2 (which feeds the fliptronics board)
I've only got 40v each. Is that correct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-sticking-then-locking?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.