stop (resized).png
68FDB885-CEDF-4C64-8457-05BE1D0BB2B6 (resized).jpeg
5323D517-A53C-4C77-A29C-FA7A0A647B27 (resized).jpeg
696E8699-032E-4375-B448-3ECE57819B72 (resized).jpeg
CDD280DF-5B55-4EAC-A878-1A3C3FFAF8D2 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

The game is a deadpool pro, the issue I’m having is the left flipper sticks up sometimes after pressing the button (not always, but frequently enough to be super annoying while playing) And it stays up until another coil is fired (slings, right flipper, pop bumper, ect.) also the button itself on the side of the machine is not sticking in, it is acting normally.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

You need to first figure out if the flipper is sticking up for a mechanical or electrical reason.

Take off the glass and play until you see the problem. Then push on the flipper. If it drops easily then it's just sticky. You need to service the mechanism. For example the coil sleeve might be cracked, and causing friction.

If it resists, then it is still energized. The game either thinks the button is still pressed in, or some other electrical gremlin makes is stay energized. A loose wire of bad switch might do this, which would explain why it drops on its own later with other vibration.

An electrical problem is far less likely than a simple mechanical issue. Once I verified it was a mechanical problem the first thing I would do is inspect the mech top and bottom for obviously broken stuff, and the next thing I'd do is remove and examine the coil sleeve.

#3 2 years ago

From what I've read, the coil stops on these are kinda flimsy and could very well be the culprit behind the problem here. Perhaps try swapping coil stops with a good flipper and see if the problem moves.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Take off the glass and play until you see the problem. Then push on the flipper. If it drops easily then it's just sticky. You need to service the mechanism. For example the coil sleeve might be cracked, and causing friction.

Your first statement (figuring out if it is mechanical or electrical) is 100% correct. However diagnosing it like that is subjective. The better way to do it is when the flipper sticks, power off the game. If it goes down, electrical. If it stays up, mechanical. Just easier than removing the glass, and you can't influence the outcome.

Quoted from MightyRipples:

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

So that comes down to the diag. If it goes down when you shut the game off above, it is electrical. So report back on that result, and we will help direct you.

First thing in electrical is the flipper switch. Getting stuck in? Adjusted too close?

First thing mechanical is interference. Is there something just hitting the flipper mech. A manual or wire or something just in the way.

#5 2 years ago

The flipper stays up when shutting the game off so it must be a mechanical issue… I’m gonna go through the left flipper and see if there’s anything out of place in comparison to the right one under the playfield

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The better way to do it is when the flipper sticks, power off the game. If it goes down, electrical

Fair, that is a better test!

#7 2 years ago

I didn’t notice anything out the ordinary, I put on a new coil sleeve, and it’s still just as bad as it was. I even took apart the right flipper mech and it all looks the same between the two. This is the old one I took out below. It doesn’t have any cracks or anything in it at all. So…?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
5323D517-A53C-4C77-A29C-FA7A0A647B27 (resized).jpeg5323D517-A53C-4C77-A29C-FA7A0A647B27 (resized).jpeg68FDB885-CEDF-4C64-8457-05BE1D0BB2B6 (resized).jpeg68FDB885-CEDF-4C64-8457-05BE1D0BB2B6 (resized).jpeg696E8699-032E-4375-B448-3ECE57819B72 (resized).jpeg696E8699-032E-4375-B448-3ECE57819B72 (resized).jpegCDD280DF-5B55-4EAC-A878-1A3C3FFAF8D2 (resized).jpegCDD280DF-5B55-4EAC-A878-1A3C3FFAF8D2 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago

Alignment of the coil to the post that runs through it connected to the flipper looks..crooked. Does it move freely? Also - is that coil stop just dirty or worn? That angle looks hard to tell

#10 2 years ago

The pictures are just without the stops in, they sit right when I have the stoppers in place as far as I can tell. Is the piece in the middle supposed to be slightly loose or tight? The part on the end that I have sitting on the table

#11 2 years ago

I found the issue to be the coil stop, there are bronze flakes on the inside of my cabinet from the stop getting wear and hitting improperly. Thank you everyone for the help!

#12 2 years ago

Try moving the flipper by hand. Does it feel rough when you move it?

Edit: Never Mind

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyRipples:

I found the issue to be the coil stop, there are bronze flakes on the inside of my cabinet from the stop getting wear and hitting improperly. Thank you everyone for the help!

The coil stop is really worn yes so change it. The loose metal piece on the opposite side of the coil you mentioned should be fastened properly too to avoid binding of the plunger.

#14 2 years ago

Coil stops are a well known and notorious Stern issue and have been for several years now. Replace them with Pinball Life ones and away you go. Currently on special so might be a good time to grab a few spares as these are a heavy wear item and will require replacement a lot more often than most other parts in the machine.

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html
stop (resized).pngstop (resized).png

#15 2 years ago

Remember. The nipple on the coil stop should be affixed to the coil stop. It’s all one piece. It shouldn’t move at all.

On new sterns, if the flipper is sticking at all, it’s 99% the coil stop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-sticking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.