New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275749)

Flipper staying up

By ravve

65 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 65 days ago

On Big Guns, the upper left flipper is staying up sometimes (like 50% of all the shots).
It then comes down after a while (not always) or when the other right flipper is fired (always!).

I thought it could be vibrations from the other flipper making it come down, but not so sure about that since other vibrations on the playfield dont have any effect.

Similar issues has been discussed in the forum, but still I feel it's not really the same problem as mine.

Turning off the machine while flipper is up wont make it come down (stays up), touching the flipper slightly with my finger makes it come down.

I have taken it apart and cleaned the whole assembly, changed the spring and the bushing, but didnt help.

There is a slack between flipper and playfield so it is as it should.

Very strange, what should i look at next??

#2 65 days ago

Too much slack between flipper and playfield can also cause this. Did you space it out with the proper tool? (credit card also works)

Might as well replace plunger, sleeve, coil stop.

#3 65 days ago

I just had this same issue on my STTNG and it turned out to be the assembly getting caught on the EOS switch.

#4 65 days ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I just had this same issue on my STTNG and it turned out to be the assembly getting caught on the EOS switch.

Can u please explain that more?

#5 64 days ago

Here is another strange fact: although the problem seems mechanical, i can't reproduce it by hand (manually moving it up and letting go). While it happens like 50% of the shots when playing

#6 64 days ago
Quoted from ravve:

i can't reproduce it by hand

Your hand pulling it, and the coil pulling it. Are different.

LTG : )

#7 64 days ago
Quoted from ravve:

Can u please explain that more?

Sure. As LTG explained in my thread, moving the flipper with your hands is different than the coil actually pulling the flipper. With my issue, I couldn’t get the flipper to stay up manually, but after I removed the coil stop and pulled the plunger, I found that a metal piece (which someone put electrical tape on for some reason) was getting stuck on the EOS leaf switch. I removed the tape and all is well.

Yours probably doesn’t have electrical tape on it, however I would check the contact with the EOS switch.

#8 64 days ago

I might add. When we use our hand to pull the flipper plunger, it is more a straight back movement. When electricity pulls it back, it kind of pulls to one side. If you've ever seen a worn metal coil sleeve, it always has a hole worn through on one side.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Machine - For Sale
New Hartford, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside