(Topic ID: 302414)

Flipper solenoid strength chart.

By pinballslave

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211019_190014 (resized).jpg
    20211019_185915 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Does anyone know what the colour coding is for flipper coils or where I can find a chart?

I believe the strength of the coils is linked to the colour of the sleeve around the coil...

Thanks a lot!!

#2 2 years ago

I'm assuming that you are referring to WPC games?

If so, here's what a search says:

FL-11753 (yellow) – Used with short flippers and close shots

FL-11722 (green) – Used for close shots near drop targets

FL-11630 (red) – The standard, most commonly used coil

FL-15411 (orange) – Used for long playfield shots

FL-11629 (blue) – Used for long shots and high ramps. The most powerful coil used by Williams / Bally.

Not that you should just install flipper coils at random. Game manuals will specify which coils are intended to be used.

In some rare cases, it was later discovered that a certain coil was too strong or weak for a particular game, and either a service bulletin was issued, or it just became common practice to change out (some of this is noted on pinwiki or here on the forums).

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm assuming that you are referring to WPC games?

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that, and was actually coming back to my post to add it when I saw your informative reply

Thanks a lot!!

I think my Demo Man needs a blue coil on the right flipper in that case to make that left ramp!! It can make it easily when cold, but after about 1 game, it gets very hard to make that ramp!

Thanks again!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not that you shouldn't just install flipper coils at random.

I think you mean 'not that you SHOULD'

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I believe the strength of the coils is linked to the colour of the sleeve around the coil...

Damn! I'm gonna go git me some blue paper and change out some coil sleeves!

#5 2 years ago

Do you mean for WPC games?

I think my Demo Man needs a blue coil on the right flipper in that case to make that left ramp!! It can make it easily when cold, but after about 1 game, it gets very hard to make that ramp!

It SHOULD have a blue coil on both lower flippers, per the manual, so you're on the right track

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It SHOULD have a blue coil on both lower flippers, per the manual, so you're on the right track

Thanks for picking up the bonus points for answering that one for me!! I feel fairly confident that when I get home and look at what's there I'll find they're already blue...

#7 2 years ago

colour coding is for flipper coils or where I can find a chart?

The two strength charts I know of are at https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html and https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
    Both have wrapper color annotated in places for some coils.

#8 2 years ago

At first glance it looks like I have 2 blue coils, and am therefore into a flipper re-build as the solution...

20211019_185915 (resized).jpg20211019_185915 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

However, on closer inspection I see that the right coil has the part number FL 11722, which makes it essentially green... maybe I'm going colour blind, but they both look blue to me...

20211019_190014 (resized).jpg20211019_190014 (resized).jpg
    #10 2 years ago

However, on closer inspection I see that the right coil has the part number FL 11722, which makes it essentially green... maybe I'm going colour blind, but they both look blue to me...
    [quoted image]

Looks like it could be an aftermarket coil; meaning, that manufacture might not have followed the color scheme.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like it could be an aftermarket coil; meaning, that manufacture might not have followed the color scheme.

I prefer that explanation than me going colour blind!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-solenoid-strength-chart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.