Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E8E5366-A195-46DE-A453-333A2DFCEADD (resized).png
IMG_20191130_084205731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191130_084547513 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191129_161006444 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm in the process of fixing a couple issues on a Gottlieb Bank Shot. The subject of this post involves a sticky left flipper.

I know it's mechanical, not electrical. I wanted to first disassemble everything before ordering new parts... I think it might be the bushing though the playfield but wanted to check it all out first so I can get a full order list together.

Someone that owned the machine before me must have sheared off one of the setscrews on the flipper crank lever. Any advice? Attempting to drill the screw out seems risky at best. I don't really want to just destroy everything by cutting (Dremel) through the main shaft either...

Anyone ever dealt with something like this?
IMG_20191129_161006444 (resized).jpgIMG_20191129_161006444 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Don't waste your time trying to save that pawl, order all new flipper rebuild kit from PBR including their new pawls.
I have tried to save money on a flipper rebuild and it doesn't work, you want them right.
Drill in the center of the sheared head (use a punch to center) just deep enough to loosen off the shaft.

#3 4 years ago

Ditto this. Get new parts.

#4 4 years ago

New parts, cut the shaft.

#5 4 years ago

I don't think that particular flipper pawl is available any more.

Whenever I have encountered the sheared off screw in those pawls, I've had to cut the shaft and through the bushing too. Then order all new parts where available.

#6 4 years ago

I’ve successfully rescued 2 by using a drill and a screw extractor (ez-out). Use a punch to get a good center point, then a small bit, then the size for the extractor. I’ve got a tool that I use for guitar work that helps me figure out what the thread is, then I get another screw that works.

Dave

#7 4 years ago

Ok I might check with PB Resource to verify which parts are available before attempting anything. I don't have an easy-out that small but I suppose I could order one.

Those that have cut the main shaft, how? Dremel?

#8 4 years ago

If your going to consider cutting things.. I would attempt go old school, center punch and drill out the bolt. Then drill slightly larger to clean things up and retap the hole for an appropriate larger bolt.

#9 4 years ago

Quick trip to the hardware store for a smaller extractor and... Success! Thanks all.

IMG_20191130_084205731 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_084205731 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_084547513 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_084547513 (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

Nice.. I haven't seen extractors that small before in my small town, maybe I have to go to the big city for those. Will keep in mind the next time I have a problem like that.

#11 4 years ago

Yeah I was surprised but there was a decent selection at ACE. I bought a fresh center punch too, thankfully all went well. A bit nerve wracking drilling into an area with NLA parts.

#12 4 years ago

I bought this Snap On extractor set years ago. Has left hand drill bits so as you are drilling it sometimes backs the broken part out for you. Glad you had success.

8E8E5366-A195-46DE-A453-333A2DFCEADD (resized).png8E8E5366-A195-46DE-A453-333A2DFCEADD (resized).png
#13 4 years ago

Pretty cool you got it out. I will endorse the improved pawls Pinball Resource sells, put them on all the machines I repair, Williams and Gottlieb.
Nothing more frustrating then a flipper shaft slipping after adjustment.

#14 4 years ago

Good job! That is a job that would have to be coffee free for me!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from sped372:

Quick trip to the hardware store for a smaller extractor and... Success! Thanks all.[quoted image][quoted image]

Good job!
I was gonna say try the local hardware store for extractors, but you already figured that out

Thanks generalgman for the pointer to snap on. That looks like a nice set.

Dave

#16 4 years ago

Don't reuse the other screw that was still good. The head will shear off if trying to reuse it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Venice, Florida, FL
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-setscrew?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.