(Topic ID: 330549)

Flipper Rubber - Your Preference?

By Desmodromic

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• Give me that factory rubber 13 votes
      59%
    • Titan Silicone 6 votes
      27%
    • PerfectPlay 2 votes
      9%
    • Superbands 1 vote
      5%

(Multiple choice - 22 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I have a couple modern Stern games and based on recommendations one of the early things I did with them was to swap out the factory rubber on the playfield and flippers. Using clear silicone at the slings and colors in a few other spots is helpful with lighting and appearance.

I tried Titan Low Bounce and used them for quite a while. Then I played a duplicate of one of my machines at a friend's house and he had factory rubber everywhere. I'm far from an advanced player but it was immediately obvious that the factory rubber was much more "dead" and gave me way better control of the ball. Even with the Low Bounce silicone, it was notably harder to control the ball. When I got home, immediately swapped back to factory rubber and BAM, notable impact in my scores and controllability.

Am I alone in having this experience, or maybe the sensitivity to this really depends on player experience and technique? Just curious. Both of my Sterns now wear factory black flipper rubber and fancy color silicone everywhere else.

Where's the best place to source OEM style flipper rubber so I can have some spares handy?

#2 1 year ago

I prefer factory rubber or Marco PRW rubber. Give me great feel and great play over spiffy looks, and if I gotta clean my pins a little more, so be it, it's pretty darn easy to do. I'm here to play.

#3 1 year ago

To preface, I am a purist through and through. I like my games bone stock and playing as near to how the designers intended.

I’ve tried all the rubber: Marco, silicone, Titan, the stuff from Steve Young, and Pinball Life.

The absolute best natural rubber rings comes from Marco Specialties. It lasts, has a good color, and doesn’t split around post corners (like lower slingshots). Used it for years, until pinsider dmacy convinced me to try Titan silicone—and I’m so glad he did.

Titan silicone is just as good as Marco stuff. The white looks identical, and it plays and feels like the real rubber deal, but so far, has been holding up much better. It’s definitely more durable. It’s the clear winner. I plan on converting all my games over to it as needed when they’re due for a shop out.

So, I definitely

#4 1 year ago

I put Marco rubber where it matters.

I like the silicon bands, and don't hesitate to use them, but in general, Marco PRW is what I use.

#5 1 year ago

I tried both the Superbands and PerfectPlay rings when they came out, and actually have both in a cart at Pinballlife right now because I can never remember which is which when I put them on the games, but they feel "stickier" to me and I find I can control the ball better and the color is more intense compared to rubber.

I rarely get anything from Marco but may try the PBL brand too.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Desmodromic:

Am I alone in having this experience...

No there are numerous threads on the subject

Real rubber

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I prefer factory rubber or Marco PRW rubber. Give me great feel and great play over spiffy looks, and if I gotta clean my pins a little more, so be it, it's pretty darn easy to do. I'm here to play.

That's exactly where I've landed. I like color flipper bands, but not at the expense of playability.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I tried both the Superbands and PerfectPlay rings when they came out, and actually have both in a cart at Pinballlife right now because I can never remember which is which when I put them on the games, but they feel "stickier" to me and I find I can control the ball better and the color is more intense compared to rubber.
    I rarely get anything from Marco but may try the PBL brand too.

I am the complete opposite of this. The Superbands look nice, but I can't control the ball at all with them. The factory rubber bands I have a lot more control.

#9 1 year ago

Perfect play on everything. Super bands are prettier, but harder for me to control

#10 1 year ago

Anyone know what Spooky uses? I saw their booth at SFGE and the one machine I played the flippers would bounce the ball halfway up the playfield just holding. Ball was bouncing all over the place and never seen that before.

#11 1 year ago

Real rubber here. Cliffy post sleeves on all posts just due to the fact that they wear like iron.

Titan was the worst product in the synthetic rubber that I tested. The rings especially on slings wouldn't last a few months on a route game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rubber-your-preference and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.