untitled5 (resized).JPG
12volts (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
flipper return 2 (resized).jpeg
flipper return 3 (resized).jpeg
Flipper return (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

guess the main thing is I don't really understand what that 12 volt line does. it goes to a dpdt relay as a flipper return?
and then to another series of transistors for general illumination I think

No, the 12VDC is created on the board and heads right out to some connectors, it is not attached in any way to the flipper dpdt relay or flipper return (ground)....I think you are misreading the schematics. Follow the red line.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

isn't it connected to the ground return through LED 7 and resistor 250
ahh... not general illumination I'm a dumbass.

Status indicator LED for presence of 12VDC power. That is not a direct short 12VDC to ground return.

#8 5 years ago

Your original problem is Rudys eye movements? (not a flipper problem?...the relay there on the page is only for enabling the flippers - nothing else)

Check the solenoid table. Start check by briefly grounding the appropriate transistor tab to see if his eyes move (Q26 and Q20) If they work there, then there is upstream problem (transistors/logic) If it does not work then downstream problem/wiring/supply voltage at the eye solenoids, something along those lines.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

still doesn't make any sense that I'm getting 12 volts on the 50 volt circuit.

Then I have 2 questions:
Where exactly are you measuring 12V on the 50VDC circuit? (there'd be more wrong than just the eyes, all the 50VDC coils wouldn't work - so what's going on with the rest of the game coils?
<and>
What are you measuring on the eye coils directly?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

ground to the 50 volt test point

If this measures 12VDC, none of your high voltage coils are going to work. 50VDC is supplied by bridge BR3. Check AC input to this bridge.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Isn't this with the 50V unplugged?

I'm asking what the 50V circuit measures with everything plugged in as it should be...and if all the other high voltage coils work. I think what I am hearing in the text is a bunch of plugging and unplugging connectors without a defined troubleshooting path. Is this just a problem with the left/right eye solenoids, or do we have other coils not working? Run the solenoid tests.

#15 5 years ago

Keep in mind the most likely two causes of the eyes not working :
A) broken power side supply wire to those coils,
or B) not getting grounded on the trigger side.

And, also keep in mind that the other eye directions "open" and "closed" also use the same coil power supply as well, so if those eye directions work there is not a problem with power supply for those solenoids.

We don't need to be fooling around with the measuring the main solenoid power section of the driver board, unless we have a systemic problem with a bunch of the coils.

#17 5 years ago

Weird. If you don't run across something quickly, here's where I would start.

Disconnect all cable headers from the driver board, check continuity between TP1 and TP6. If you have a short, it is isolated to the driver board and go from there.

If no short between test points, the problem is off the board. Go to the removed plugs and start testing there. Since they are all disconnected and specific wire harnesses are going to different places, the goal here is to determine if the short is on the playfield, or somewhere else like the cab. Could be a problem with the coin door interface for example.

You'll need sharp probes or a wire lead to get into the female pins of the connectors. Put one meter probe on J116, J117, J118 pin 2 (pin 2 is +12VDC for all these connectors) with the other probe the other pins on the respective plugs J106,J107, J108. Nearly all the pins carry the +50VDC on those 3 plugs. I would test playfield connector to playfield connector, backbox to backbox, cab to cab -- looking for one with continuity which would indicate which wire is shorted. From there you'll know what colors of wire to focus on tracking down.
untitled5 (resized).JPGuntitled5 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 29.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-return-12v-question?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.