You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0662 (resized).jpg
IMG_0661 (resized).jpg
flippers old new (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello, I'm kinda new to this. I'm replacing flippers on my Pinbot and have a few questions. The seems to be 2 wires too many on the old ones (see pics). Wht to do with them? Or, do I have the wrong replacements? The wiring on the old coils is on the front of the coil, the wiring on the new coil is on the back. Match these three wires the same way? Or reverse them? Any help appreciated. thanks!

flippers old new (resized).jpgflippers old new (resized).jpgIMG_0661 (resized).jpgIMG_0661 (resized).jpgIMG_0662 (resized).jpgIMG_0662 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The second switch on the old assembly is for the lane change function. The one closest to the coil is the EOS switch which changes from the high power side of the coil to the low power (hold) side. You need both on this game (or you cant change the lit lane with your flipper button).

The lugs of the coil can be oriented towards the coil stop, or away (preferred). The plunger will pull in just the same, but there is a lot of impact at the coil stop end which can break wires.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Completist. Understood on the switches. The coils went bad and I thought I'd just replace the whole unit but now I'm thinking just replace the coils. My concern is that I wire the coils correctly. Does it matter if I take the wire from the left post on the existing coil and solder it to the left post of the new coil?...center to center....right to right. Since old is on the front and new is on the back, I just want to be sure I don't wire it backwards, you know what I mean?

#4 4 years ago

Ok first question i have is what make you suspect the coils are bad? They don’t usually fail unless there is another problem somewhere (over heated due to EOS misaligned etc).

To answer your question though, the wires are attached according to the orientation of the diodes. The power wire needs to go to the outside lug with the banded side of the diode. The ground wire to the other outside lug next to the non banded side. The other two wires are the EOS switch wires which attach to the center and the outside (non banded) lugs.

The important part here is a replacement coil may not have the diode oriented the same as the original. So you can’t always just copy it.

#5 4 years ago

if the coil isnt melted, you probably have a blown fuse or transistor somewhere

#6 4 years ago

The coil was so hot I couldn't touch it and the flipper stopped functioning. The new coil is in and works without getting too hot but I have another problem in that the piece that rotates on the flipper catches on the switch and holds it open. I need to adjust that to make it stop catching.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-replacement-pinbot-?hl=multiballmike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.