(Topic ID: 163168)

Flipper Rebuilds on late model Sterns. When do I do them?

By pinballaddicted

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi,

After how many plays (or flipper usage) should we be rebuilding the flippers? We have late model (2011 - 2015) Sterns. By flipper rebuild I mean replace with new: flipper bat, flipper bat bushing, plunger & link assembly, coil stop bracket and check coil resistance and switches (change if necessary).

My experience tells me that 1600 plays (170,000ea flipper usage) is too high. Both flippers coil stop brackets were stuffed (both stoppers nearly fell out) and the plungers were mushroomed enough to hold the flipper up.

Any advice is appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

When they stop flipping or are losing power.

I usually go thru them when shopping a game out and rebuild if they are getting sloppy.

#3 7 years ago

I would say like the tires on a car, you can inspect the parts for wear from time to time and replace when needed. Or you can wait for a flipper blowout and replace then.

At least you don't have to fix them on the side of the road.

#4 7 years ago

In my experience replacing coil sleeves is usually good enough in the majority of cases, as well as cleaning off the grease and metal shavings from the mechs. If that isn't enough buy the rebuild kit.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for all the help!

#6 7 years ago

IMHO when the stops are visibly indented or the plunger ends visibly mushroomed or stiff in the sleeves it's time to replace parts beyond the coil sleeves. Usually you can go through a couple of coil sleeves before that happens, but the easiest thing to do is remove the coil stops and look at both them and the plunger ends, plus check for slop in the links.

#7 7 years ago

I just replaced flipper plungers, sleeves and stops on a friends Lotr. He was getting buzzing when holding button. Think I narrowed it down to the slop in the plastic pinion that mounts to flipper mech. So I change them when I lose power, feel slop or annoying buzzing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 26.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rebuilds-on-late-model-sterns-when-do-i-do-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.