View topic image gallery

IMG_2349 (resized).JPG
IMG_2348 (resized).JPG
IMG_2347 (resized).JPG
IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_2345 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi!

I am sure this is an easy one for you experts.

I decided to make a flipper rebuild on my MM. For some reason the left flipper does not rise high enough to the same level with the right flipper when energized. Have a look at the pics where I have pushed the flippers to their upmost level. The left flipper stays far behind the right flipper, even though when not energized, they are on the same level.

What have I done wrong here? I noticed the spring on the left flipper should be replaced, but it should not have an effect on this, correct?

Thanks for any info!

IMG_2345 (resized).JPGIMG_2345 (resized).JPG

IMG_2346 (resized).JPGIMG_2346 (resized).JPG

IMG_2347 (resized).JPGIMG_2347 (resized).JPG

IMG_2348 (resized).JPGIMG_2348 (resized).JPG

IMG_2349 (resized).JPGIMG_2349 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Are the coil stops the same?

There are coil stops with three different lengths, which affect the flipper travel distance.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are the coil stops the same?
There are coil stops with three different lengths, which affect the flipper travel distance.

That might be it, thanks! I might have left an old coil stop to the one on the right and on the left I have
the one from the rebuild kit. I will check it tomorrow.

#4 6 years ago

I changed both coil stops and they are now the same, but it did not bring any help here. I also noticed that I had accidentally put an old flipper bushing to the one on the left. It was not very worn as I mistook it for a new one - but might it be the culprit?

#5 6 years ago

One flipper pawl is tapered one isn't. Look at your two pawls , the grey plastic piece. The non tapered one is hitting the opening of the Coil sleeve and not even reach the coil stop. I bet the tapered one is. Manually check and listen. I bet the non tapered one isn't even hitting the coil stop and making the usual clank sound.

#6 6 years ago

I ordered a flipper rebuild kit, but received left and right flipper rebuilds in different bags - you mean that the parts in them may vary from each other? And you are referring to the flipper link?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I ordered a flipper rebuild kit, but received left and right flipper rebuilds in different bags - you mean that the parts in them may vary from each other? And you are referring to the flipper link?

Yes, the grey plastic link is different on each flipper.

If you look at your photos of the flipper mechs, you can see the tapered one (the non rounded one) goes further inside the coil than the rounded one.

rd

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yes, the grey plastic link is different on each flipper.
If you look at your photos of the flipper mechs, you can see the tapered one (the non rounded one) goes further inside the coil than the rounded one.
rd

Thanks! And so it seems.

#9 6 years ago

Seems like 2 different mounting brackets (besides being L + R). Look how the EOS switch bracket is mounted to the base.
The left one in your photo has a slightly shorter stroke.
Can you measure the space between coilstop and bumperplug ?

#10 6 years ago

Trim the grey piece on the rounded flipper pawl to match the tapered one. I've done that before, worked great after that

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Seems like 2 different mounting brackets (besides being L + R). Look how the EOS switch bracket is mounted to the base.
The left one in your photo has a slightly shorter stroke.
Can you measure the space between coilstop and bumperplug ?

That's true. I noticed that the other one of the screwholes, where the coil bracket is attached on the flipper base sub assembly had lost its threads, so I had to order a new one base sub assembly.

Quoted from Gnatty:

Trim the grey piece on the rounded flipper pawl to match the tapered one. I've done that before, worked great after that

I did find in my storages another plunger and link assembly and used that. It is much better that the one I had in (and of which the photos were taken). It is not completely the same to the one on the right, but it is good enough for playing. I asked the store where I bought the flipper rebuild kit to send me a new rebuild kit for the left one, so with that hopefully everything will be at 100 % again.
If there is any difference after that, it may very well be for the different flipper base sub assembly then.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are really good!

#12 6 years ago

an easy way to adjust these things when they don't line up is to just bend the rest bracket with channel locks a bit in either direction. this way you can 'dial in' the flippers to have the exact same amount of travel. Note usually this issue happens if you don't use the exact same parts on both sides (or don't replace the exact same parts.)

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

an easy way to adjust these things when they don't line up is to just bend the rest bracket with channel locks a bit in either direction. this way you can 'dial in' the flippers to have the exact same amount of travel. Note usually this issue happens if you don't use the exact same parts on both sides (or don't replace the exact same parts.)

Thanks for the tip - I didn't quite catch what to bend here, if there is a picture that would help...

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I didn't quite catch what to bend here, if there is a picture that would help...

In your last pic its the bracket above your finger with the rubber, bend it up to gain travel. Then you have to readjust the flipper bat. Then compare to the other side, readjust if necessary.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

In your last pic its the bracket above your finger with the rubber, bend it up to gain travel. Then you have to readjust the flipper bat. Then compare to the other side, readjust if necessary.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rebuild-the-left-flipper-does-not-rise-high-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.