3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by shlap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Seeking help on flipper rebuild issue. Installing new parts on my KISS pro and ran into an issue with the flippers.

Ordered parts from Marco. Everything great except flipper return now very weak. Luckily I had not thrown out the old springs. I compared the new ones to the old ones - did a tactile comparison bending and lightly stretching the springs. The old ones were clearly stronger/more rigid.

I called Marco and the rep said that I did indeed order the right parts (265-5035-00) and that "those were the springs recommend by Stern".

Short of installing the old springs, I'm not sure what to do, because the new springs are clearly unsat.

Any suggestions (alternative springs, hacks etc.) are appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

If your flippers are not binding up without the spring on then I would get springs from pinball life or just put the old ones on till you order parts again to save shipping.

#3 3 years ago

Just use the old springs

#4 3 years ago

I used to replace old parts with new but I am finding some new parts inferior to the original parts or old parts that are perfectly fine so now I reuse as often as possible. Springs are rarely compromised. I would put in the old springs and not worry about it.

Here is a hack. Cut some coils off the new springs and install. That is why I say put the old ones in. Even easier and better than messing with the new ones!

#5 3 years ago

How do you know your old springs are correct and not the new ones?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

How do you know your old springs are correct and not the new ones?

Quoted from AAAV8R:

flipper return now very weak.

LTG : )

#7 3 years ago

Thanks to all who have responded for the advice. I used the old ones. The flippers now snap back strong.

I just thought using old parts when doing a rebuild was counterintuitive. In this case, it doesn’t appear to be. I am also a little taken aback that “new” parts are being offered that don’t even work. That’s the first time I have come across that.

#8 3 years ago

yep i have not found any new springs that actually work. ive ordered from many places. they also break just as fast as stern or jjp pins. not sure if its all one supplier or what but they break fairly fast.
    wish they would switch to having the LARGE spring on the coil link itself, those work the best and last long.

3 years later
    #9 42 days ago

I ran into this today replacing the springs in my AFMrSE. The old springs were much stronger than the new ones from pinball life.

Major bummer

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rebuild-return-springs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.