Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

When do YOU decide on when it's time to rebuild your flippers? I'm considering rebuilding mine on my LW3 that I recently purchased, but not having played this pin in it's prime, I'm not sure that it needs it. I can make the ramp shot when timed correctly off the right flipper, and every once in a while a left-flipper shot will limp it's way up the ramp.

Any input is appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

if a backhand flipper shot makes it up the ramp, then you're probably ok. If you want more aggressive flippers, go for a slightly bigger coil.

#3 8 years ago

You should be able to send a well aimed and well hit ball to the extents of the pf. If you have a flipper that cannot generate the force needed to traverse the pf as intended (whether it be up a lane or ramp, etc), then the next step is to determine why. I may be limited to a dirty plunger, mushrooming sleeve, etc. I suppose if the game has a lot of miles on it, you might "want" to rebuild the whole thing...but generally there will be only a subset of rebuild parts necessary to get it swinging as it should.

#4 8 years ago

I take mine apart and look at the plunger and coil stop. If there is any mushrooming then I rebuild them. If you do a rebuild, don't forget to replace the playfield bushing too as they are not in the kits.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

take mine apart and look at the plunger and coil stop. If there is any mushrooming then I rebuild them. If you do a rebuild, don't forget to replace the playfield bushing too as they are not in the kits.

It's amazing that only the DE/sega early kits have bushings, yet all come with new EOS.

As soon as I get a game. Always replace bushing and sleeve. If the plunger doesn't even remotely look new (tapered slightly at the end), I replace at least that and the link. If the coil *stop* (edit) is even slightly ill formed, replace that too. I will see if the spring, either type, looks good as well.

I keep all used parts for fixer uppers down the road, and for extra parts in a pinch, or to give to my other pinball friends at Christmas.

If it is a high end game, I don't even think twice, I replace the pawl/plunger, sleeve, bushing, bat, spring, clean the plate and clean the EOS. EOS switches rarely need replacing, unless then are broken.

Don't f around with flippers. They are the single greatest thing that makes a game "feel" good. Even if you are hitting ramps, you will notice a difference, and likely the bats are misaligned.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Any input is appreciated.

OK, but its OT. I LOVE your default pic! (and a big tongue out to you, GFLM!!!!) lol

#7 8 years ago

Looks like a flipper rebuild kit is in order! ;P

Thanks guys

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

If the coil is even slightly ill formed

Meant coil *stop*, sorry. Coils are rarely replaced, only if you can't get a sleeve in there smoothly anymore, likely due to a previous locked on flipper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanover, VA
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside