Flipper Question

By Thebluecaddy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello all,
I have owned a Chicago Coin Hee Haw machine for years. It is working quite well but there is a minor issue I'd like to fix. One flipper works fine but the other flips fine and has the right amount of power but unlike the good side, when you hold the button down, there is a noticeable buzzing sound. I know this can be common.
I just replaced the coil with one identical to the one on the good side and it made no difference. I see that there is a set of points that get opened mechanically when the flipper is held in the up position and I adjusted them to work the same as the good side. With the table up, I could feel it was generating a lot of heat which will probably burn out the coil pretty quickly.
Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to solve this? I also apologize in advance for any errors in terminology.

#2 2 years ago

If it's getting hotter than the "good" side, then there's something wrong with that switch, or its wiring. That switch is the end of stroke "EOS". It should open when the flipper is up to cut off the high power to the coil, keeping it from melting. Double check that both coils+switches are wired the same way, maybe post some pictures if you can't find anything

#3 2 years ago

You had the right idea! You adjusted the End of Stroke switch which, when opened, shifts the flipper coil from high power / low resistance to low power / high resistance. Make sure that the EOS switch is spaced correctly and clean. It should open about 1/8" when the flipper is at its furthest up position. If something is wrong with this switch, the flipper never reaches a low power state and could be the cause of your buzz. Use a clean business card, apply a little bit of pressure to close the EOS switch, and slowly pull it through the contacts a couple times.

Probably a good idea to check out the coil stops, coil sleeves, plungers, and links too. Sometimes a loose coil stop can rattle around if the flipper is held up, but I don't think it would generate that kind of heat. zacaj is probably correct and it's most likely something with the wiring or coil if the EOS seems to be fine. Good luck!

#4 2 years ago

You can swap parts left to right to find out where the problem lies.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I will look into these and try to post some pics tonight. There is a thought in my mind that the wiring may not be correct since I just installed a brand new coil and am getting the same symptoms. I think I got the EOS switch adjusted correctly but will check again with the advice given here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-question-4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.