Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Shug
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a Williams Flash machine. The left flipper has stopped working. Before it stopped it was sticking and I also noticed that the plunger was making a squeaking sound when I worked the flipper by hand. So I removed the plunger from the coil and cleaned it then the flipper worked for a few games and now the coil cannot engage the plunger. When I hold down the flipper button if I manually move that flipper the coil will suck in the plunger after I help it about 2/3 of the way in.

I ordered rebuild kits for both flippers fron pinball life a couple of days ago. Do you guys think this will do the trick? It definitely seems like a mechanical issue to me. I also cleaned all the flipper and EOS switches.... This is my first pin and first pin repair. Didnt expect to be working on the machine this soon but I guess that's how pin collecting goes .

Thanks for any tips/advice

#2 11 years ago

To educate yourself and see if you are on the right track. Remove the coil stop, slide the coil down, see if plunger is mushroomed or has a sharp edge on the end, coil sleeve worn or cracked, plunger assembly worn and sloppy in movement ?

If so you are on the right track with a rebuild.

Since the left one stopped, you might have another issue too.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

Will do thanks!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

To educate yourself and see if you are on the right track. Remove the coil stop, slide the coil down, see if plunger is mushroomed or has a sharp edge on the end, coil sleeve worn or cracked, plunger assembly worn and sloppy in movement ?
If so you are on the right track with a rebuild.
Since the left one stopped, you might have another issue too.
LTG

took everything apart: Plunger looks good, sleeve looks good however i just noticed where the flipper link connects to the flipper lever arm I am missing a washer and e-clip that holds this firmly together.. I was just comparing the left to the right for 100th time and just noticed that LOL .

I also just held the coil in my hand while it was powered and watched it pull in the plunger when I hit the button so I know electrically its doing its job.

Got it all back together very carefully and the flipper is working now but I believe as it is operating that flipper link slowly droops down the post on the flipper lever arm and causes the plunger to bind against the coil sleeve thus not kicking the flipper.

At least i can get a few games out of it tonite and I will be good to GO when my rebuild kits get here. There is some seriously hack wiring (one of the coil posts on the right flipper just has some speaker wire connecting to the EOS switch just wrapped around it! no solder or nuthin) that has been done on both the coils so i will fix that up at the same time!

#5 11 years ago

This machine is old enough to likely need new end of stroke switches and maybe the cabinet flipper button switches too.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

This machine is old enough to likely need new end of stroke switches and maybe the cabinet flipper button switches too.

Probably not a bad idea. I will be getting EOS switches with the rebuild kits so I will order flipper button switches too. Good call and thanks for the advice.

#7 11 years ago

When we had a dozen of the Flash pinball machines on our route back in the day, I recall we went through a lot of EOS and the cabinet flipper switches. They sure burned up the contacts more than other machines it seemed.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Shug:

I have a Williams Flash machine. The left flipper has stopped working.

Shug - I'm just now seeing this thread - is this the same problem that you called me about?

Quoted from Shug:

This is my first pin and first pin repair. Didnt expect to be working on the machine this soon but I guess that's how pin collecting goes

I must say, I'm really dissapointed that you're having any issues. I know these old machines are temperamental, but Flash was pretty reliable for me, and I had hoped you'd have the same experience.

Quoted from Shug:

took everything apart: Plunger looks good, sleeve looks good however i just noticed where the flipper link connects to the flipper lever arm I am missing a washer and e-clip that holds this firmly together..

I wonder if these may have come loose during the move? ....did you look in the bottom of the cabinet for 'em?

Quoted from Shug:

There is some seriously hack wiring

I do remember splicing those wires not long after I got the machine. My first pin repair - and obviously not up par. ....ack - I feel really bad reading this. If you want, I'd be happy to reimburse you for the cost of the flipper rebuild kit. I really hope you're not regretting the sale....

#9 11 years ago

Actually when I called you I was having trouble with the right flipper. I just cleaned the flipper button switch and EOS switch and it began working fine and has been solid since then. Next day the left flipper stopped working and has been not working ever since (see above)... as far as the missing washer and e-clip i did look in the machine and did not see it so I really have no idea whats going on with those parts. It's very possible they fell off during the move and I just cant see em inside the cabinet.. maybe in a crack or something?

However I got my parts in the mail to rebuild both flippers yesterday so hopefully sometime this week I will have time to get in there and get it all fixed up and I feel confident the machine will be running great then. I have enjoyed this little flipper lesson actually. I feel like I know about 50 times more about pinball machines than I did when I was at your house looking at Flash for the first time!

I mean the machine is over thirty years old so trust me I understand these things are gonna happen.

I didnt want to call you again and bother ya because I know it wasnt your fault and besides it's my baby now I need to figure this stuff out on my own. I just wanted to get some reassurance from experienced people on here while I was going through the repair/troubleshooting flippers process the first time.

Dude that is really generous of you to offer reimbursement for the kits but I will have to respectfully decline the offer. BECAUSE - we made a good deal with good faith on both sides and I'm cool with it man. Honest. The machine is mine now and I have no problem taking on that responsibility.

p.s. I didnt mean to make cracks about your wiring job. I didnt think it was yours since all the work I saw that you did on the Genie was so nicely done LOL. You have gotten alot better since your Flash repair!! ;P

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-question-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.