• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by alfadogmusic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 9 years ago

I've got a Data East Hook machine and the left flipper is only moving about half way through its range. Can someone please point me in the right direction on what the possible cause could be and how it should best be repaired?

#2 9 years ago

Could be several things....look at coils and see if it is moving freely. Sounds like it may have gotten hot or could even have come loose. If you go to pinballhq.com you can learn very helpful info.

#3 9 years ago

I'm not familiar with DE hardware from that era, but I did have a cocktail pin with a poorly adjusted EOS switch. It was letting high voltage stay engaged not dropping off to low holding voltage. What happened was the coil sleeve actually melted into a plastic lump, which prohibited the movement of the metal rod that pulls in when the coil energizes.

#4 9 years ago

Things to check.
Make sure there is enough up and down play on the shaft so it isn't binding on the playfield bushing. Should be about 1/8".
Unbolt the coil and pull out the coil sleeve. See if it is dirty or melted or difficult to pull out of the coil.
Make sure the EOS switch is properly adjusted - closing and opening when it is supposed to.
Check the coil resistance at the lugs.
Make sure the flipper shaft is bolted on tight.
Not sure if Hook used optos at the flipper buttons. If so, clean them.

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Ghost in the machine! After sitting turned off for about 2 weeks, I turned Hook on and the flipper is working again, and I have no idea why.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 275.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cayuga , NY
$ 299.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 23.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside