(Topic ID: 220917)

Flipper power of early SS pins, vs WPC and later.

By wrd1972

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hello,
    I am looking for some basic information regarding flipper power on early SS pins, through WP and later pins.

Some questions:
    Do early 80's William/Bally pins have less overall flipper power than say...SYS11, WPC?
    Is flipper power for SYS11, comparable to WPC?
    Is flipper power for late Stern, comparable to WPC?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

I find early Williams ss flippers to be pretty weak. Starting around firepower they switched to a new, modern style mech, and it was stronger, but it was still 25v. Later, with fire power 2, they switched to 50v, and that stayed roughly the same until Addams family introduced fliptronic solid state flippers.

Bally and Stern used 50v flippers right from the beginning, so they were pretty strong. Stern especially. Although I find ballys linear flippers to be weaker.

In the late 80s data east introduced solid state flippers, and they were really strong. Modern Sterns are similar in design to those.

I find that a modern Stern is comparable to Williams fliptronic in terms of speed (until the flippers get hot) when both are in good shape.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-power-of-early-ss-pins-vs-wpc-and-later and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.