(Topic ID: 121491)

Flipper Parade or Majorettes or other for an AAB?

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dgpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Flipper Parade or Majorettes or other for an AAB?”

• Flipper Parade 1 vote
    50%
  • Majorettes 1 vote
    50%
  • Another AAB 0 votes

(2 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

I currently have Sittin Pretty, Sweet Hearts, Sky Line, Sing Along and Target Alpha as my Gottlieb line up and would like to add an AAB.

There is a nice Majorettes on eBay and I have a line on a FP.

Given the above games, which would you prefer to add to that line up - Flipper Parade or Majorettes and why?

Would you pick another AAB instead? (A really nice Hurdy Gurdy would tempt me)

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

MikeO - if you see this, why don't you like roto target games? One of the things that has me interested in FP is the roto target. I had a Flipper Clown, but my wife and daughter hate clowns so it wasn't allowed to stay.

#3 4 years ago

Roto's are too tight to shoot at and random to me. I prefer more fixed objectives. And on the 60's games the openings to the rotos are tighter where in the 70's they appeared to increase the opening a bit. Maybe that's adjustable and I don't know it. At the same time, I can live with a difficult to get to rollover lane.

I freely admit I haven't given too many roto games a whirl. You can see that from my collection as well as previously owned list. And I've spent very little time on Flipper Clown.

Overall I feel it's difficult to integrate a roto into a game well. As an example, I like Spin Out better than Buckaroo. With Spin Out the top lanes are open to get to whereas on Buckaroo it's mostly a bottom half game because you have to roll back up through the top lanes. Granted you can shoot back up to the pop bumpers on Buckaroo but you are obstructed to get through the top lanes. The roto is close on Buckaroo with smaller openings and longer on Spin Out with wider openings. That said Spin Out seems easier to succeed on both for the roto layout and the ABCD. But to me that makes it a more balanced level of game play. I'm not as patient in game play that rotos may require.

It's good that there are lots of games to choose from to get the variety that appeals to you. Good luck in your search.

#4 4 years ago

I like having a game with a roto for the variety in a collection. My favorite is King of Diamonds where cards you can't knock out on the playfield can be achieved through the roto - nice playfield flow back up to the top to complement the roto action.

#5 4 years ago

I have had 2 King of Diamonds. first one in 2000-2002 and now this past one for a year and a half. People seem to love the game play or hate it. I got sick of the game where it just sat and collected dust again. Most of my pinball friends didn't want to play it because it would kick their asses. I would consistently score 1700 or higher. I could flip the game twice in a night. It was just time to move on. I am sure in coming years I will acquire one again at some point.

Buckaroo. I love the game. Why? Because it is friggin hard! I dont mind the big roto hoggin up the playfield. It gives me a challenge kickin the ball back up with what I call the "Around the world shot" that's when you just get the ball at the sweet spot on the end of the flipper to get that angle straight back up to the pop bumpers. The best example of this shot would be in Central Park.

Now where was I? Oh yeah! Majorettes or Flipper Clown. Get both. Try out both and sell one if you don't like one. Don't have the money for both? Get the Majorettes because they just don't come up for sale often. I would love to have a Majorettes because I enjoy pop bumper games like Gigi and Slick Chick.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Get both. Try out both and sell one if you don't like one.

This kind of thinking is what gets me in trouble with my wife ...

Also have a space problem now that we have actually built the game room instead of just talking about it and buying more machines then will fit.

I like Buckaroo, but the theme doesn't appeal to me. Always thought about getting a Slick Chick, but my wife calls it the first Playboy machine and doesn't think we need another (I have a beautiful Bally 78).

I agree with you about KOD. Thought about Diamond Jack as my AAB candidate, but them remembered how frustrating KOD is.

#7 4 years ago

I have both of these games. I much prefer Majorettes to Flipper clown. Majorettes is very unique in design. Can't think of another Gottlieb with that playfield design. I like it a lot. Artwork is really good too. Flipper clown is no slacker though, but i just prefer Majorettes over FC.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I have both of these games. I much prefer Majorettes to Flipper clown. Majorettes is very unique in design. Can't think of another Gottlieb with that playfield design. I like it a lot. Artwork is really good too. Flipper clown is no slacker though, but i just prefer Majorettes over FC.

You actually sold me a Flipper Clown years ago ... I just sold it after 15 years in storage and my wife and daughter telling me I couldn't waste a pinball slot on a game that had clowns on it ... Sigh.

Flipper Clown got into the conversation as the result of a typo I think. ... Was looking at Flipper Parade.

Decisions, decisions ...

#9 4 years ago

Majorettes is just a unique special game, a properly set up example is one of the best EM experiences there is.

I'm not a big fan of roto targets, just take up too much room for what they are.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 3.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 445.00
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 69.00
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside