(Topic ID: 82464)

flipper not flipping after rebuild

By fluffybunny

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fluffybunny.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hello everyone,
I just rebuilt my first flipper on my street fighter 2, mechanically it functions great. And when I was testing it it worked fine for a few flips but then when I held the flipper it dropped and will not work anymore, even after turning the machine on and off. I checked my solder jobs and everything looks ok, I didn't mix any wires. The coil seems to get warm when it is on but does not feel any warmer than the other flipper coil. I checked the fuses and don't see any blown. Does anyone have any other suggestions or things I should double check?

Also during the rebuild I could not get the coil brackets really tight on the coil so there is a slight play in the coil foward and back, it said in vids guide that it should be really tight, but there just wasn't enough room to move the brackets on the shafts of the screws so I'm not sure what I should do there, any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

#3 10 years ago

Well, I figured out what the problem is The rebuild kit came with a new EOS switch, and I put it on backwards so it never opened the EOS switch it was always closed even when you hit the flipper. I still don't understand the EOS completely but from what I understand it is supposed to open and that will put low power on the coil instead of high power, if it is always on high power that would probably blow the coil, which I think happened since it is not moving at all and all the switches test normal in the test mode. Now if thats the case should I replace the EOS capacitor too or just the coil? I pulled the fuse and it is not blown.

One of the other reasons I think I blew the coil is if I manually open the EOS switch while pressing the flipper button it still does not work.

Thanks for the tip about the washer I will try that.

#5 10 years ago

So if it is always closed and never opened like when the EOS switch was backwards, it was always getting low voltage? Which means the coil shouldnt have blown but it still doesn't work, I turned the EOS switch around and it opens when you manually flip the flipper but it does not flip when you press the button. It does work in menus, and it does control the second flipper in the car crush mechanisim when that is activated so that tells me it is a problem at the flipper mechanisim, and I am still at probably coil.

#7 10 years ago

Ok, that makes more sense, so with the EOS switch being backwards the coil was getting high voltage all the time instead of getting it just for a fraction of a second then going back to low voltage. Thanks for explaining that makes a lot more sense now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fluffybunny.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-not-flipping-after-rebuild?tu=fluffybunny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.