Flipper keeps falling down....??

By Kingoftron

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Question guys.... I swapped out my right flipper bat on my Lord of the Rings last night, but now, no matter how tight, the bat falls when it hits the ball. I can't have the mech underneath any more tight, so what gives?

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Question guys.... I swapped out my right flipper bat on my Lord of the Rings last night, but now, no matter how tight, the bat falls when it hits the ball. I can't have the mech underneath any more tight, so what gives?

Flipper bat head may have broken from the shaft or the pawl got stripped

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Flipper bat head may have broken from the shaft or the pawl got stripped

I was wondering if that could happen. I tried to hold the shaft still to see if the bat would still spin around it, but I couldn't with just my hands.

#4 10 years ago

Remove the bat and it let us know what you find, QuarterGrabber was having a similar issue.

#5 10 years ago

check the solder joints to the button switches and the coils. I had the same kind of problems and I ended up reflowing the solder.

#6 10 years ago

ah...maybe your problem isnt the same as mine. Mine would fall when the ball hit it and sort of become weaker as I was playing.

#7 10 years ago

You'll have to see where the weak point is. Are you able to twist the flipper bat beyond it's normal range of motion from the top side of the playfield? If the pawl/crank is worn or bent, you can tighten it all you want and it's not actually going to close tight on the flipper shaft. Sometimes you can bend them back into shape to get a snug hold.

Brian

#8 10 years ago

I'll check it out when I get home today and report back.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Sometimes you can bend them back into shape to get a snug hold.

This ^

I had to basically bend the actually assembly a bit before cranking down for the final tightening then everything held nice and tight.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

This ^
I had to basically bend the actually assembly a bit before cranking down for the final tightening then everything held nice and tight.

By bend, do you mean squeeze together to close the gap on the mech that the shaft slides into?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

By bend, do you mean squeeze together to close the gap on the mech that the shaft slides into?

Yes, squeeze the round part that the shaft goes into with a pair of pliers to bend it inwards slightly. You want the pawl to close down on the shaft before you are out of wiggle room on tightening the nut.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and the tips, guys. Bending it with a pair of pliers did the trick. Now to fix the five other things I broke while fixing this.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Now to fix the five other things I broke while fixing this.

Took me years to be able to fix something without breaking something else

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
€ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-keeps-falling-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.