• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_(1).JPG
flipper.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I just recieved my AFM, looks fair, not the condition I was hoping for though.

I assume because of shipping some stuff need to be reattached and stuff but the main issue is the flipper feels weak and they are not in the correct position.

what should be done in this case ?

flipper.JPGflipper.JPG photo_(1).JPGphoto_(1).JPG

#2 12 years ago

Simple fix, loosen the bolt that's holding the flipper bat under the playfield and realign it, then tighten the bolt back up. I always just line the flipper up with the inlane. You probably need to replace the coil sleeve & stop to bring back the stregnrh of the flipper. Use an Allen wrench to remove the 2 black screws holding the coil stop in place, remove the sleeve from inside the coil, you probably need to buy some sleeves & coil stops (check pinball life it's a good idea
To order extras as you will need to do this in the future when they start to get dirty again). It's the cheapest thing to keep your pin playing its best.

I'd also remove that mylar between the flippers. Makes the game play like crap!!!

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

I just recieved my AFM, looks fair, not the condition I was hoping for though.

I wanted to warn you about the condition of the so called restored machine but did not want to get called out as a negative person !

The spring in on the wrong side of the bracket and will pull harder on the flipper possibly making it weaker .

The flipper adjustment is a easy fix .

Good luck and next time give us a shout out before you pull the trigger on a new machine .

Jim

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'd also remove that mylar between the flippers. Makes the game play like crap!!!

I would hold off on things like mylar. Fix the flipper first as they described. Learning how to pull up mylar on afm is a very expensive way to learn something. It does play better without, but it isn't something you will notice until you are a better player than most.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

The spring in on the wrong side of the bracket and will pull harder on the flipper possibly making it weaker .

Quoted from McCune:

did not want to get called out as a negative person

I don't want to get called out as a more-negative person but i'll bet that spring was put on the wrong side of the bracket in order to get it to pull harder, to compensate for the flipper sticking up. Operators do crap like that all the time. Anything to avoid having to actually fix something the right way. I would assume that both flippers need a rebuild - get the rebuild kit from Marco or your preferred pinball parts vendor, as well as a pair of flipper bushings (03-7568), as those are not included in rebuild kits for reasons unclear to me. Do it on both flippers - whether they 'need' it or not.

Also, man, they call THAT restored? It looks like they didn't even hit the PF with some wax before they sent it out :-/

#6 12 years ago

Time to rebuild your flippers. The pawl in there is worn to crap. Note the elongated hole the bolt goes through. And missing the washer.

You need new plunger assembly, new coil sleeve, new coil stop, and Williams return springs and get them in the hole closest to where it hooks onto the pawl.

Leave a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper when you reassemble things so the pawl doesn't bind under the playfield on the nylon bushing the flipper shafte goes through.

You only have two flippers, 15 minutes and new parts and your game will play like new.

Before you close it up to play a game, take a Q tip and wet the end with windex and clean between the optos on the flipper button opto boards. Your game will have that brand new flipper snap again.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You only have two flippers, 15 minutes and new parts and your game will play like new.

You're quick Lloyd... Still takes me a good hour per side, with cleaning the bracket, replacing the bushing and all the other usualy stuff.

Restored, it is not. The fact that it is mylared, that you are lucky for.

#8 12 years ago

thanks guys, well I'll have to work on it for a while and waiting for the parts.

adjusting the flipper didn't work, I believe the crank arm need to be replaced, I'll just rebuild the flippers.

when I adjust the bat and press the flipper button, the bat goes up and doesn't return completely back, it stays on a higher degree. with every press it goes more higher !!

not very happy with the purchase, but I'll work on it to fix some issues :s

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

when I adjust the bat and press the flipper button, the bat goes up and doesn't return completely back, it stays on a higher degree. with every press it goes more higher !!

Sounds like the flipper isn't tight enough. You really have to wrench those down tightly.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Sounds like the flipper isn't tight enough. You really have to wrench those down tightly.

+1. My SS did this on one flipper when I got it put back together. I had to tighten the hell out of that one flipper before it finally kept still.

#11 12 years ago

Where did you get it from?

#12 12 years ago

Yeah, you need to apply an unreasonable amount of force when tightening down those flippers cranks - and sometimes they can get "tired" and stop gripping the bat even when you do tighten them real good. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what's happened here, since the flipper being weak, and having the spring attached wrong, etc, implies that the guy had some problems with that flipper before you got it, so he might have taken it apart a few times.

#13 12 years ago

I'll try that again, already expecting new set of flippers. I'll take photos of the pin and the whole story after sorting couple of stuff with the seller

#14 12 years ago

When putting in new parts, consider the nylon bushing the flipper shaft goes through the playfield in.

The left one really gets a beating in AFM and cracks and breaks faster than any other game.

LTG

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The left one really gets a beating in AFM and cracks and breaks faster than any other game.

The left base on mine was cracked and welded back on when I got it

#16 12 years ago

flipper working now, just had a chance to try the pin, noticed two main things

- the left ramp do not record "Capture".

-when the saucer wall goes down, the target on the back drops down from the first ball, every hit to the center will just make the ball goes to the ramp without a hit record. I need to hit the left and right targets to get a hit.

is this how it supposed to be ? I think the back target should not drop down until the last hit.

#17 12 years ago

Congrats! Very nice game to have.

Quoted from BinGhanem:

the left ramp do not record "Capture".

Quoted from BinGhanem:

ball goes to the ramp without a hit record

Check the switches put the game in switch test and see if they register
they might need to be adjusted a little bit.

Quoted from BinGhanem:

the target on the back drops down from the first ball,

This probably can be changed in the game settings,Is the game set to easy?

#18 12 years ago

Hey mike,

Ill check that today and will let u know.

Thanks

#19 12 years ago

Looks like the ramp switch doesnt work, will try to adjust it, if that didnt work ill have to replace.

The option is set to easy but that is the default option by the pin. The only other option is hard, will try that.

#20 12 years ago

Are you trying to get some coin back from the seller?

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Time to rebuild your flippers.

Big +1 on that!

Re-aligning the flippers is pretty simple just do what smassa said and you should be good to go on that one. The one you loosen is the black one on the upper left side of the flipper in your bottom picture. Then you adjust it and tighten it back up.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Are you trying to get some coin back from the seller?

not really, I saw pix of the playfield before buying, not happy with bolts used and some little stuff here and there, specially the cabinet, edges are not great and you can see the wood layers in some places.

I asked the seller to ship it to me to Dubai, but I was in UK when the machine was ready, so I shipped it my self, I was waiting for a refund for a shipping cost.

When I bought the machine, seller told me he'll restore as much as I want, depends on how much I'll pay for restoration, I asked to change certain things only, the rest will be my project.

A friend of mine sold his AFM recently, he was planning to swap his playfield with ceramic clearcoat. now he is offering me the playfield "cheap" since he don't need it anymore

should I go for it ? never swapped playfield before, but very intrested in trying

#23 12 years ago

If you are going from not knowing how to adjust a flipper, to doing a full playfield swap, that is a massive gap. It's no easy task...it's a great idea in theory. But it's not for the faint of heart...

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

If you are going from not knowing how to adjust a flipper, to doing a full playfield swap, that is a massive gap. It's no easy task...it's a great idea in theory. But it's not for the faint of heart...

thats why I'm asking, I should hold my horses for now I guess lol

#25 12 years ago

If it's cheap, buy it and figure it out later, as you will get your money back if you want to sell. Getting a AFM PF is getting harder by the second.

If you pass, I'll take it

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

I should hold my horses for now I guess lol

Maybe so, at least until you get a few repairs and adjustments under your belt

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

If it's cheap, buy it and figure it out later, as you will get your money back if you want to sell. Getting a AFM PF is getting harder by the second.

Yea I'll get the PF and swap it when the time is right.

I might sell my old PF, with some touchup, it should be good

#28 12 years ago

A PF swap is a lot of work, but with some planning and a lot of pictures, AFM isn't too bad. Having another playfield ready makes it a little easier because then you aren't shipping the old one off and waiting months for it to come back. Things will be a little fresher in your mind.

Also, by this time, Williams/Bally had things pretty nailed down and the WPC-95 machines are fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble. For the most part, all switches, targets, flashers, and assemblies unplug and can be removed without unsoldering wires or removing switches or flashers. You do have to unsolder coils, and pop bumpers are a pain to remove and reassemble.

One thing to keep track of is which under-playfield screws go where. They are different lengths based on what they are holding. You don't want to attach a stand up target with too long of a screw and push it up through your nice new playfield.

Of course you do have to remove all the playfield connectors from the power driver board and the switch connectors from the CPU. But if you take pictures and label stuff, it goes back together pretty easily. There are also a lot of photos of AFM teardowns out on the web, and that is helpful.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a mini PF swap tutorial. I guess I got carried away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-issue-with-afm-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.