Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fusion301
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

hello pinside folks! as you can tell from my username, i'm a new pinball owner. i bought a jurassic park for my first pin, & i'm having some flipper trouble. the left flipper seems to work fine, then intermittently becomes very, very weak. i swapped coils with the left & still same issue. eos is adjusted properly...i think. any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

Clean the EOS switch and the switch at the button with alcohol. (game off)
Make sure the EOS switch is closed when the flipper is at rest and closes when the flipper returns to rest after being engaged.
Check the fuses are good and for weak fuse clips on the flipper board inside the lower cabinet. You need to physically remove the fuses from the clips and test for continuity. If they come out easily you need new clips.
Look for damaged transistors, resistors, etc to the flipper board.
Make sure the LEDs on the flipper board are lit when you press the flipper button. (should be since you are getting the flipper to work sometimes.)

This is straight from pinrepair
http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index2.htm#flip0

#3 9 years ago

thanks, sealclubber. after cleaning with alcohol(didnt remedy), i used a small file on the contacts. i think that did it...played a few games & seems to work. i'm going to get the rebuild kit for both flippers in the meantime. they could be a lil stronger, & i dont think they've ever been rebuilt. is it best just to replace everything flipper wise including the coils?

#4 9 years ago

There should really never be a need to replace the coils, unless the got crispy or shorted out. There's nothing in the wiring to wear out. Just replace the coil sleeve.

#5 9 years ago

DE flipper coils are not like williams etc they I think have two lugs and when the flipper is pressed its getting 50V when you hold it in and the switch opens the CPU drops it to 9V.

If you are getting weak flipping, it could be on the 9V setting meaning that either the cpu thinks the switch is open or the EOS switch is bent/broken/ not making contact.

so that could have been your problem and it sounds like you fixed it...this is just a basic of how they work. 50V drops to 9V -those numbers might not be right but you get the idea, its a saftey measure so the coils dont fry.

#6 9 years ago

I don't replace a coil unless I have to. Pretty much if it has less than 3 Ohms accross the lugs or the plastic is swollen or melted, then you need a new coil.

In addition to the normal rebuild kits, I also replace the playfield bushing that the flipper shaft inserts into. This will keep the flipper bat from wearing into your playfield.
Also do a quick check, remove the flipper rubber and see if the bat is cracked. The rubber usually will hold a broken one together for a while.

#7 9 years ago

thank you for the resposes, folks! played quite a few games today & questionable flipper worked well. the eos was not making good contact. once corrected, flipping well.

#8 9 years ago

yep hard to flip with only 9V - glad it was an easy fix

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Barnstable, MA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Top-Notch Target Shields
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside