(Topic ID: 260331)

Flipper inconsistent (Williams System 9)

By yannos

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper board (resized).JPG
switch matrix (resized).JPG
Special Switch diagram (resized).JPG
Solenoid table (resized).JPG
IMG_20200122_192749482 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello!
I have mostly gotten our beloved Space Shuttle back up and running after a decade in storage, but I have one (substantial) problem left: The right flipper is sometimes weak! I have replaced the coil and replaced the flipper/assembly, so it's not that... all parts move freely, all related switches are okay.

Working with my tech (Thank goodness for FaceTime), we see that the flippers do not come through the main board, and are not on the switch matrix. My flipper board looks okay. The reason I think it's related to the connections to the board is that I tried a BUNCH of things to the flipper itself, to no avail. When we found how they are powered (and how primitively), he had me simply remove J1, J2, and J3, clean the pins and try to clean the holes out, and replace them--Boom! Full power to the right flipper... for about 3 games. When my kids told me it was weak again, I removed and replaced them again a couple of times, and full power again for awhile. Should I remove the board and check continuity, even though I don't suspect corrosion? I don't know that replacing the fuse that is going to even be a meaningful option, as I would expect weakness to affect flippers equally in this setup... and quick ideas to check for a specific loose connection? Is there something else boneheaded (or sophisticated) that I am not trying?

I've attached a picture of the board, as well as some of the schematics. Here's the manual, for good measure: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2260/Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov_3_1984_with_schematics.pdf

This is a new, EXCITING hobby, and I can't wait to hear your ideas

IMG_20200122_192749482 (resized).jpgIMG_20200122_192749482 (resized).jpgFlipper board (resized).JPGFlipper board (resized).JPGSpecial Switch diagram (resized).JPGSpecial Switch diagram (resized).JPGSolenoid table (resized).JPGSolenoid table (resized).JPGswitch matrix (resized).JPGswitch matrix (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

I'd reflow the solder on the pins. Repinning the connector can't hurt either though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-inconsistent-williams-system-9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.