Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Cozmos001
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper hop (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I thought I would share this in case anyone out there has some solutions that I am unaware of, or if someone has it, and need some ideas.

Flipper hop is a plague. It needs to be eradicated. We discussed this on one of our episodes of our podcast and I had several people ask for clarification of what it is. For anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, I have a simple diagram below and some solutions, in order of cost/hassle.

Solutions:

1.) Adjust lane guides. This can range from simple, to nearly impossible based on the setup of the machine and the lane guide types. Classic games often had a simple wire lane guide that can get misadjusted over time from balls hitting it at high velocity screaming towards the drain area. Often, a simple bend can fix it. Classic Stern/Bally's and Williams games often had a hole drilled near the flippers that this wire connected to. This can become enlarged over time. A more complicated fix involved patching or filling this hole and either retapping/redrilling it carefully, or in extreme examples, relocating it slightly. Just be sure to move the flipper through its extremes of movement before drilling into your beloved playfield. It doesn't matter a damn to have the transition smooth if the flipper can not travel to its upper most location without hitting the guide. On later modern games, often the screws can be loosened that hold the lane guide, moved, and re tightened. This has mixed results as often the guide will move again after being hit repeatedly. It is the simplest option though.

2.) Titan thin flipper rubbers. Titan deserves the pinball equivalent of the Nobel Prize for providing these in my opinion. They address the Flipper hop type that results from the flipper being mounted slightly above the lane guide. The thinner depth of the rubber allows for more slightly more clearance which is often enough. It won't help rounded corners on metal lane guides or when the flipper is mounted too far below the lane guide, but 70% of games it seems can benefit from them. It would be awesome if other manufactures of traditional rubber and Super Bands would provide these as well. Found here: https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=52

3.) Cliffy makes lane guides that supplement the existing guides. I have installed these twice. The most successful being a Gorgar that had horribly rounded corners. They are drilled in a way that offers some adjustment and they are stacked, or layered in a way that prevents Flipper Hop. The only draw back is that Cliffy is too good at what he makes, and the wait time can sometimes be long, and the selection is pretty limited to specific games and eras, but they are a life saver and relatively inexpensive. They can be found here. http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

4.) Lexan. Finally, the most involved but worth it if none of the above works. I recommend Lexan in .093 that can be found in different sizes readily at hardware stores like Menards, Home Depot and Lowes or your hardware store of choice. It is strong as hell and inexpensive. It can be used a lot for different pinball projects including ball jam protectors, but these might be better addressed with a slightly thinner sheet (I'm looking at you Dialed In). Buy a bigger piece and keep the rest for a rainy day. I take off the stock lane guide, and trace it in dry erase marker on the Lexan adding a slight amount to the problem area and then use a jig saw that is fitted with a plastic cutting blade. Cut it out, and sand down the edges to your satisfaction. It can then be drilled or and screwed on, or press fit in some cases, and this will knock out our nemesis. The example below is a poorly done cell phone video of me doing this to a TNA in my collection that suffered from it. The way the mount is attached, it leaves ZERO room for adjustment so this was my only solution. It has helped a ton.

Flipper hop (resized).pngFlipper hop (resized).png

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I love the cliffy improved guides but mine keep sliding down over time after the ball hits them enough
    My next flipper hop project is going to be my Speakeasy. Broken plastic guide on one side and bad hop even on the other side. It seems like mid-80s Bally just loved flipper hop and purposely induced it on every game with way too skinny inlane guides...

Yep. I think early Ballys might take the lead as far as incidence of flipper hop. I think it was a combination of ridiculous output numbers and lax manufacturing tolerances with a splash of indifference. These were made to be quarter suckers back then, and they just didn't concern themselves with it.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Lex-in?"
    Whom am I to argue with middle USA dialect

Ha. I am a self admitted salt-of-the-earth hillbilly. Your lucky I didn't drop any Yall's.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-hop-sucks-solutions?tu=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.