Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, having a problem with my upper right flipper on STTNG. It stopped working, so I raised the playfield to take a look. When I press and hold the right flipper button, the lower right flipper works fine. As for the upper, I can hear a slight buzz coming from it, and see the mech on the upper right flipper move just a smidge, but not enough to move the flipper. If I move the UR flipper into the up position by hand (while holding the flipper button) it stays up, as if the "hold" coil is working.

From what I have read, I think if the power stroke coil were bad, the UR flipper wouldn't move at all when I press the flipper and probably wouldn't make the faint buzz... is it possible I have a bad diode, causing the "hold" coil to always be the one firing even when the power stroke one is supposed to?

#2 9 years ago

Likely a broken connection on the power winding. Inspect the two ends of the fat wires coming off the coil. If you find one loose, unwrap it a wind if needed, scrape the insulation off the end, then resolder it to the lug.

#3 9 years ago

Since that game has a fliptronics board, the hold coil turns on less than a second after the flipper button is depressed. So that part sounds like it's working as it should: with only the hold coil energized the flipper will typically vibrate slightly and stay up if you lift it up. Sounds like a problem with the power coil wiring or driver circuitry.

Check for voltage at the power winding on the coil. Both sides should have approx. 50 volts when the flipper button is not depressed.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

So that part sounds like it's working as it should: with only the hold coil energized the flipper will typically vibrate slightly and stay up if you lift it up.

Doh! I meant to say the power winding. I got the fat wires part right anyway. Post edited.

#5 9 years ago

Clean flipper button opto

#6 9 years ago

I have similar result with an Addam's family swamp VUK coil.

#7 9 years ago

Have you gone into diagnostics and run the power test to see if it is signal or actual power circuit? Also, check to see if your eos is making proper contact.

2 weeks later
#8 9 years ago

fixed this tonight with a new coil. i tried fixing the old coil but i couldn't find where it was actually broken, and the machine kept rebooting whenever i tried testing the old coil, which i took as a bad sign. new coil, problem solved. thanks, everyone.

#9 9 years ago

Congrats. When testing voltage the game should be on, when testing continuity/ohms the game should be off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-hold-works-power-stroke-does-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.