Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I got a call to see if I could fix a millionaire pinball machine that was blowing the fuse on the flipper board. Upon inspection I saw a broken upper flipper armature. When fixing that I saw the coil was melted and the terminal ends of the eos switch were touching. I replaced the armature and all three coils with the correct part number coils. Mad it so the eos terminals were no longer touching and fired up the machine. All is good with the exception of the upper flipper strength. While at rest if I put my finger on the flipper and push the button nothing will happen. If I let the flipper get half way before putting my finger on it, it seems to be fine. I took a video but don’t know how to post it on here. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don’t know if it’s a bad coil of what.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I got a call to see if I could fix a millionaire pinball machine that was blowing the fuse on the flipper board. Upon inspection I saw a broken upper flipper armature. When fixing that I saw the coil was melted and the terminal ends of the eos switch were touching. I replaced the armature and all three coils with the correct part number coils. Mad it so the eos terminals were no longer touching and fired up the machine. All is good with the exception of the upper flipper strength. While at rest if I put my finger on the flipper and push the button nothing will happen. If I let the flipper get half way before putting my finger on it, it seems to be fine. I took a video but don’t know how to post it on here. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don’t know if it’s a bad coil of what.

Don't the Eos switches on system 11s remain on (touching) until the flipper is engaged? You might be sending hold voltage rather than full pulse voltage to the coil. I'm going off memory here, so u could be wrong...

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Don't the Eos switches on system 11s remain on (touching) until the flipper is engaged? You might be sending hold voltage rather than full pulse voltage to the coil. I'm going off memory here, so u could be wrong...

Yes I think the eos switch on the upper flipper is closed until the flipper is engaged. I don’t know what hold voltage and pulse voltage are can you elaborate please.

#5 1 year ago

I looked but didn’t see anything for weak flippers.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I looked but didn’t see anything for weak flippers.

Flipper button leaf blade switches filed smooth and clean ?

EOS leaf blade switches filed smooth and clean and good tension holding them closed ?

LTG : )

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flipper button leaf blade switches filed smooth and clean ?
EOS leaf blade switches filed smooth and clean and good tension holding them closed ?

That sounds like a good place to start.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Kharris:

While at rest if I put my finger on the flipper and push the button nothing will happen.

Could the coil be wired backwards? Energizing the high resistance windings first?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Could the coil be wired backwards? Energizing the high resistance windings first?

I will look into that.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Looking at the coil there are 2 diodes on it. If it was wired backwards wouldn’t that blow a fuse? I’ve played 7 or 8 game’s on this machine after installing the new coil and have had no blown fuses.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Kharris:

If it was wired backwards wouldn’t that blow a fuse?

If power and hold were switched, it wouldn't blow a fuse.

Post a picture of both of your flipper coils and the wiring so people can help more.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

If power and hold were switched, it wouldn't blow a fuse.
Post a picture of both of your flipper coils and the wiring so people can help more.

Will do the machine is at someone else’s house I’ll see if I can get over there sometime tomorrow.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Kharris:

If it was wired backwards wouldn’t that blow a fuse?

Blow a fuse or it wouldn't work. But I'm not saying the polarity is backwards. I'm thinking perhaps you've wired to the wrong set of windings.

There are two separate windings in the flipper coil. One is the "flip" winding with low resistance. The other is the "hold" winding with higher resistance. You may have the wiring backwards to the two windings. I have seen two identical coils where the windings terminated to the terminals in opposite positions. Always a good idea to check the resistance before wiring up. If you have an ohms meter verify you have it wired correctly. Don't rely on a visual check, or assume two identical looking coils (even same part number), terminate the same.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 17.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!