(Topic ID: 155905)

Flipper gets stuck in up position (Stern, AC/DC)

By scp

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by surfsled
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey all. My AC/DC Luci has been working just fine, but lately the right flipper has been getting stuck in the "up" position. Usually for no more than a few seconds, and definitely not on every flip. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks

#2 3 years ago

If you turn the game off does it go down, or does it require something to hit the flipper like a ball. If you turn it off and it goes down, I would suspect switch on the flipper, if its binding, I would suggest a flipper rebuild, or at least pull the flipper apart and see what is creating the bind. As I would not suspect a flipper rebuild would be necessary unless you have played 10K plus game on it. However, some parts can always fail prematurely.

#3 3 years ago

Things it could be:

* Coil sleeve is worn and sticky
* Plunger tip is mushroomed and dragging
* Coil stop is magnetized
* Return spring is deformed/detached

Maybe a few other things, too.

#4 3 years ago

The most common cause of this is the eos switch rubbing on the white part that activates it causing it to sort of jam up until it vibrates back down. You'll need to raise the playfield and move the flipper bat with your hand and see. It could also be the flipper button sticking. Or any of the things stevevt mentioned which would indicate for flipper rebuild

#5 3 years ago

It could definitley be a number of things. But I had this happen on my acdc not too long ago. Mine was a bad coil stop. When the stop gets loose, it tears up the brass and then the stop touches the steel bracket and completes a magnetic circuit so the plunger sticks to the stop. The giveaway for me was there was lots of shiny brass dust under the flipper mech inside the cabinet. If you see a bunch of this shiny brass dust, you know that's the problem.

#6 3 years ago

Okay, so not knowing what much of this means, how would you describe a good way of troubleshooting this? What do the parts I'm looking for look like? (Wish I was better at this... Thanks in advance)

#7 3 years ago

If you don't know what much above means I would buck up and find a local pinball tech to repair. I wouldn't mess up a 7k machine.

#9 3 years ago

Almost 99% that your coil stop is broke. Very common on stern flippers. Just get a 5/16 nutdriver and take off the coil stop. Youll notice thay the round piece is loose .it is supppsed to be welded. Being loose causes the flipper to get stuck.

#10 3 years ago

Spring?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Queens, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 50.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 9.95
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside